House Bid To Rebuff Eliot Chair Voted Down

By Andrew A. Green

Eliot House Committee co-chair Allison Rossi '95 will remain in office, despite allegations that she abused her authority by allocating house resources without the consent of the committee.

In a house committee meeting last night at 10 p.m., more than 40 Eliot residents voted down a motion of no confidence in Rossi's leadership. The motion was proposed by Jason M. Waanders '95.

Rossi's co-chair, Vincent Fiorino '95, resigned last week over the alleged misallocations. Two other committee members also resigned in the wake of Fiorino's departure.

The vote reflected a majority show of confidence in Rossi, said new Committee Co-chair Kevin M. Davis '96, who is a Crimson editor. Davis refused to give the vote count, which was by secret ballot.

A lengthy parliamentary debate over the issue began with a motion to hold nominations and elections next week to replace all 11 members of the house committee's governing board. But that motion failed by a 29-17 margin.

That idea came out of a prior meeting of 20 house residents and board members in the house grille at 7 p.m. last night to discuss the allegations against Rossi.

The recommendation was an attempt to forestall political battles over the allegations against Rossi, said house committee secretary Kimberly A. Flynn '95.

"We need to do the best thing for the house, not expose people," she said.

After rejecting the motion, the committee began election procedures to replace the three board members who resigned last week.

But in the middle of the election discussions, house resident Waanders introduced the motion for a vote of no confidence in Rossi.

"I can't in conscience stay quiet anymore," Waanders said. "I thought it was in the best interests of the house to hold the vote to elect all new members."

"None of the issues [levied against Rossi] are unforgivable in and of themselves, but in combination I think they are unacceptable," he added. "I call for a vote of no confidence."

This motion led to a review of the charges against Rossi. She was accused of twice failing to consult the committee before using house funds and materials, and misconduct during the Undergraduate Council elections.

A heated debate ensued between Rossi's supporters and those who felt her actions warranted impeachment.

House resident Matt L. Bruce '96 criticized Rossi's actions.

"Without the consent of the committee, Allison bought 600 Eliot House T-shirts when there are only 400 people in Eliot House," he said. "That cost over $3,000, which represents the house dues of 100 people."

"She also donated committee alcohol to a semi-private party without consent," he added. "This vote is not a reference on Allison as a person but on her track record."

Those who stood against the no confidence vote accused its backers of political infighting.

"This is ridiculous," said house resident Ricardo J. Suarez '95. "This is just a petty political witch-hunt that's given the committee a bad name. I don't think we would all agree that all of our problems are attributable to Allison."

Waanders defended his motion.

"A lot of people say 'Stop petty political infighting," he said. "I did this because there are several things that have gone wrong. I don't think she did this maliciously, but she did it."

At the close of the debate, Rossi was given the chance to defend herself.

"Ordering 600 T-shirts was stupid," she said. "I got a lot of pressure from seniors last spring to order more than last year."

"I didn't write the check," she added. "I was not the only one involved, and I'm not pointing fingers. I have actually saved the house money in the past.

Waanders defended his motion.