North House Considers Restrictions on Dining

By Adam M. Kleinbaum

Members of the North House Committee expressed concern last night about the overcrowding of their dining hall during reading periods.

Committee members said they are considering restrictions on inter-house dining during the period. But they said they will not act until they've spoken with members of the Currier and Cabot House Committees.

"A lot of people come to Hilles to study who don't live in the Quad," said Katherine A. Woo '95, the co-chair of the North House Committee. "They end up staying to eat lunch here. I believe other houses [in the Quad] have restrictions on inter-house, so we get everybody."

Woo said that if Quad House committees can be persuaded to share the burden of interhouse diners, no house will be overcrowded.

"We should coordinate with the other houses," she said. "Maybe let [interhouse diners] eat in different houses at different times. Maybe switch off days or something."

But for the time being, North House is not taking any definitive action.

"Right now, we're just getting opinions about it," Woo said. "I think the masters don't want restrictions. I'm not sure whose decision it is, but it's not a house committee decision, that's for sure."