Students Taking Japanese Slips By Nearly Half

3-Year Decline Mirrors Economy's Fall

By Curtis R. Chong

Mirroring the state of the troubled Japanese economy, Harvard students have flooded out of elementary Japanese language classes over the past three years.

Between calender years 1991 and 1994, total enrollment in Japanese Aab, Ba and Bb plummeted from 237 to about 132, according to figures from the East Asian languages and civilizations department.

But the number of students taking elementary Chinese language classes almost doubted in the same period, from 136 in calendar year 1991 to about 237 for 1994.

Professors say the fluctuations are clearly linked to the economic and political fortunes of the two nations. Professor of the Practice of Japanese Language Wesley M. Jacobean said enrollment in first-year Japanese classes almost seems to fluctuate with the Nikkei, Japan's stock market.

"Enrollment peaked in 1991, the climax of Japan's economic growth and then the bubble burst," Jacobsen said. "The clientele has shifted to Chinese, which may have something to do with the prospects of that economy."

Nationally, the number of college students taking Japanese declined between 10 and percent after 1990, according to Yasuaki Kaneda, director of the Japanese Foundation Language Center in California.

"Enrollment goes down due to the economy," he said.

Reversed Trends

The decline of interest in Japanese language, and the dramatic rise of Chinese, are fairly recent trends.

Between 1985 and 1991, Japanese elementary language enrollment at Harvard grew from 208 to its 1991 high of 257. In the era of such books as "Japan as Number One," the classes were booming with the economy.

Nationwide, there was a 100 percent increase in the number of college students taking Japanese language classes between 1985 and 1990, Kanada said.

"The Japanese language was the most highly-grown in the United States," Kaneda said.

Meanwhile, interest in Chinese language has fluctuated over the past decade, culminating in the recent surge.

In 1985, 157 student took Chinese Aa, Ba and Bb. By 1969, the number was up to 188, but that dropped to 167 in 1990, and 136 in 1991.

"The number of students dropped... as results of the [1989] Tiananmen Square massacre, but as the situation stabilized and U.S.-China relations grew, we had a big increase," said Professor of the Practice of Chinese Language Thomas C. Bartlett'61.

Interest in Chinese language has not always been linked to the nation's economy.

"When we started Chinese at Princeton 30 years ago, we had seven students, and they were mostly... interested in Thoist philosophy," Bartlett said.

But today students may be more on the lookout for a job in the many international companies doing business in China.

"China's open-door policy and economic boom have created huge business opportunities," said Jinyu Li, a preceptor in Chinese. "Knowing Chinese is a big plus for most professions."

And Bartlett said the growth is probably not just a passing trend.

"For about a year after the Soviet breakup, students rushed to Russian language classes, the name was true after the German reunification. Both economics ran into problems and interest waned," Bartlett said. "But the Chinese economy hasn't reversed its growth: that's the universal appeal."

Asian Students

Asian language teachers also said overall enrollment in Asian language classes may be boosted by a growing number of students interested in exploring their own heritage.

Asian students now make up about 60 percent of students in the elementary Chinese classes, Li estimated.

"In the 60's and 70's, many people from Taiwan attended graduate school in the U.S.," Li said. "Now, their American-born children have reached the university age and are curious about their background."

Bartlett said the increase in the number of Asian-American admitted to Harvard may also be a factor.

"Before 1969 the rate was around 14 percent, over the past four years it has risen to approximately 20 percent," he said.

The department even offers a special class geared toward those with verbal background in Chinese, Bartlett said. Students who can speak but lack reading and writing skills can take one of these "reduced track" Chinese classes.

Shouyee Yung '96, a student in the class, decided to take the reduced track Chinese class after she had difficulties communicating with her grandparents.

"I had taken classes in Chinese school but my language ability deteriorated after I stopped going," she says. "I knew subconsciously my ability was declining. I didn't want to acknowledge it but my grandparents visit made it much more obvious. It was revelation."

Jacobson estimated that about 40 percent of the enrollment in elementary Japanese classes, and about 60 percent in the higher-level classes, is Asian-American students.

For instance, Himyo Suzuki '96 said her strong interest in Japan motivated her to minor in East Asian Studies.

"My parents are from Japan and I'm almost fluent in Japanese, I thought it would be career wise," she said.

Suzuki said her joint English-East Asian Studies concentration has turned out well.

"I am well equipped to write my thesis on Asian-American Literature," she said

Reversed Trends

Asian Students