Cabot House U.C. Candidates Debate

By M. ALLISON Arwady

At some of Harvard's residential houses, the extremely low number of candidates for the Undergraduate Council eliminates the need for even basic campaigning.

But at Cabot House, where there are nine aspirants vying for five seats, seven last night gathered to present themselves to their constituencies and debate election issues. The debate, held in the Cabot Junior Common Room, drew an audience of nine house residents.

"I'm glad the audience outnumbered the candidates," said candidate Justin C. Label '97.

The candidates, three of whom have previously served on the council, repeatedly stressed the need to communicate the council's activities to Cabot residents.

"It's very difficult to even find out about the election," said candidate Terrence P. Mann '96. "That's a real issue."

The candidates made promises ranging from working to add evening shuttle buses to keeping Hilles Library open later. They also said what they would do to address infighting on the council, to enhance the collective undergraduate experience and to secure more money for the house committee.

Candidate Katonja K. Webb '95 said the council should sponsor different kinds of social events to attract a wider variety of people.

"Some people say, 'A tux and gown are not for me,'" Webb said. "Harvard has money. They should rent out a bowling alley, or roller skating or something."

The few audience members were enthusiastic about the debate, a first in the history of Cabot house, and even in council campaigning history.

"I'm friends with a couple of the people running, and I want to make sure I vote for people who care," said house resident Elizabeth A. Lowenhaupt '97.

The idea of having an informal debate was presented to the House Committee last week, said Dana W. Lasky '95, a Cabot House Committee co-chair. The house committee "was wishy-washy" on the idea, but was eventually motivated by the candidates to pursue it.