Epps Will Organize Financial Seminars

Will Help Student Groups Manage Money

By Susan A. Chen

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III is planning to organize a series of seminars and release a handbook of guidelines this spring to teach leaders of student organizations how better to manage their finances.

The guidelines and seminars are being established "in light of the problems that some organizations have had with financial management," Epps said.

This is not the first time the College has tried to assist student clubs with money management problems. An experimental version of the seminars was tried five years ago but discontinued because of poor attendance, Epps said.

"We will make a special effort to increase the numbers this time," he said.

The seminars will be required for organizations that apply for College funds, Epps said.

The College has already moved to regulate the funds of the Eliot House charity benefit An Evening With Champions, after two students were indicted for allegedly embezzling $132,000 from the charity fund two years ago.

"For the past couple years, our organization, while completely student-run, has had several advisory authorities to report to," said Mark T. Rosen '95, co-chair of An Evening With Champions.

The group is now under the supervision of an advisory board which includes the Eliot House Masters, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 and representatives of the Jimmy Fund, the charity for cancer research that receives money from the event.

They are also now required to participate in an internal audit performed by Harvard and an external audit performed by the Internal Revenue Service, according to Spencer J. Lee '95, the treasurer of the group.

"Ever since the missing funds from our show two years ago, this was one of the new ways to oversee and enforce all the mechanisms of the show," Rosen said.

The seminars, to be organized through the office of the Dean of Students, are designed to assist students in managing non-profit organizations, Epps said.

Accountant, Lawyer, Adviser

"The presenters at the seminar would include an accountant on the keeping of financial records, a lawyer and a graduate adviser to one of the student organizations," he said.

Some leaders of student organizations said the measures Epps is taking will probably be helpful.

"I don't know much about it, but it sounds like a great idea," said Crimson Key Society President Ryan C. Kubacki '95. "It can't hurt."

"I think it certainly makes a lot of sense when you're dealing with students," Rosen said. "As much as we are adults, most students are not very experienced in handling large sums of money and financial and budgetary activities."

"I'm sure people would be delighted to get input on financial matters," said Band Manager Anne Q. Eakin '95. "People don't know all the rules that are involved with financial management."

Other student leaders expressed less enthusiasm.

"I guess some organizations could use some help with their bookkeeping and taxes, but some of the more responsible organizations would feel this is superfluous, and I would include us in that group," said Brian E. Malone '96, who is a council member of the Peninsula.

"We're handling our finances just fine without Dean Epps's help," he said.

"I think the biggest problem is that people get lazy about keeping records, and I'm not sure if a class can change that," said Stephen W. Huang '95, who is general manager and music director for the Bach Society Orchestra.

Epps said he wanted the assistance provided by the College to remain positive.

"We fully appreciate the important contributions that students make to College life through their organizations," Epps said. "We want to find creative, constructive and supportive ways to help students run their organizations.

Accountant, Lawyer, Adviser