PBH, Officials Discuss Proposed Service Deanship

Details of Suggested Position Left Vague

By Sarah E. Scrogin

University officials last night refused to establish a time line for the appointment and job description of the proposed new Assistant Dean of the College for Public Service and Director of Phillips Brooks House (PBH).

Members of the PBH Association's Committee--a group of community leaders and alumni who advise the student association--met with University administrators to discuss suggested changes in the University's public service structure.

A committee of adminstrators and faculty recommended this summer to Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles that the University combine its current two-part public services under one assistant dean, housing the new organization at PBH and establishing a Standing Committee on Public Service.

The proposals were a part of the Report on the Structure of Harvard College titled the Report on the Administration of Public Service Programs.

Currently Harvard's public service structure consists of PBH Association--a student-run, staff-supported organization--and the Office of Public Service, which is an office of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The Office's director, Gail L. Epstein, and the Executive Director of PBH, Greg A. Johnson '72, protested many of the recommendations in memos to the report's authors and University administrators this September. Epstein and Johnson said the report's recommendation to create a new assistant dean would mean the elimination of their positions.

At last night's meeting, administra- tors said they could not comment on specific staffing issues, but they confirmed after repeated questioning that a search would be necessary to appoint a new assistant dean.

McKay Professor of Computer Sciences Harry R. Lewis and Administrative Dean of the Arts and Sciences Nancy L. Maull--the report's authors--said they could not offer a details about the report's recommendations until after Knowles hears discussion of the report at a Faculty meeting on November 15.

"If you feel a bit frustrated by not having in hand a clearer declaration of what the implementations of the report's recommendations will be, that's understandable," Maull said. "We don't have such a plan nor should we until we hear from everybody concerned."

But PBHA board and association members said the University's delay regarding the report's recommendations may jeopardize funding for the public service organization's 52 summer programs.

Discussion of the recommendations was originally scheduled for a Faculty meeting last month, but was delayed while faculty members discussed changes to the University's benefits program.

Memo

PBHA President John B. King '95-'96, PBHA board member Eric P. Dawson '96 and Central House and Neighborhood Development (HAND) Coordinators Jenna B. McNeill '95 and Kelly T. Yee '95 addressed their concerns about the report in a memo to Knowles, Jewett and Maull last Friday.

In the letter, the group of student leaders requested that the three deans clarify certain issues by last night's meeting.

The students said an October 21 meeting with the deans had lead them to believe that staff of the Office of Public Service and Phillips Brooks House would continue to serve their current constituents.

The students added that the deans had also told them the Standing Committee would not be given jurisdiction over programmatic matters, and that the University's current public service administrators would not lose their posts.

But in Maull's two-paragraph response--received by PBHA members yesterday--the dean did not offer significant clarification of the October 21 meeting.

Instead, Maull wrote that she looks forward to continuing opportunities to discuss the report's recommendations. "[1] cannot base a specific scenario of implementation or distribution of staff responsibility on our discussion in the meeting," she wrote.

King said at last night's meeting that Maull's memo suggests public service staff configuration are still uncertain.

"I have to admit that I was shocked and a little bit dismayed by what the memo commented on in terms of staffing," King said. "To me that leaves us really unclear for staff at Harvard College for public service. It leaves it unclear for what the future is for staff of PBHA."

Epstein and Johnson had suggested that the reorganization of the public service structure would not mandate a search process but might simply entail the renaming of their positions.

Both Epstein and Johnson remained silent throughout the meeting, but association members voiced their concern that the University's bureaucratic process would impede the planning of their programs.

Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72, who is Johnson's domestic partner, said a more clear definition of who is responsible for appointing the dean and making the timetable is needed.

And Cambridge City Councillor Frank Duehay '55 asked the University administrators not to lose the talents of Epstein and Johnson, their two top public service administrators.

"This seems to me to be at the bottom of these concerns," Duehay said. "The real question is, [replacing Johnson and Epstein] necessary. And I feel it's not necessary."

Reeves and Duehay are both association members.

After more than an hour and a half of discussion, PBHA Association Chair Anne L. Peretz, honorary associate of Cabot House, closed the meeting with the recommendation that the University forestall any structural changes in public service organizations until September 1995.

Peretz also recommended that should the report's recommendation be adopted, Epstein and Johnson be considered for the two top positions created by the changes.

Response

PBHA board members, association members and HAND member said they were frustrated by the meeting's conclusion.

PBHA Secretary Harvetta E. Nero '96, who board members attempted to remove this fall for vehicles policy violations, said she learned nothing from the administration's response.

Epstein and Johnson said that by recommending the dean appoint an entirely new position, administrators will disrupt the smooth functioning of public service.

"We were willing to have our jobs modified," Epstein said. "But they've insisted that there's only one way to proceed," she added.

Johnson said he was not concerned with his job security but with the security of PBH.

"I've spent the last 15 years caring about [public service]," he said.

King said the administration's refusal to establish a timetable and its attempt to provide an oversight committee illustrates a lack of understanding.

"It is absurd for the statement to be made that public service at Harvard is just like athletics or any other area, because it affects people from beyond this ivory tower," he said.

In other business, the association welcomed its newest member, James H. Rowe '73, Harvard's newly appointed vice-president for government, community and public affairs.

Rowe served as vice-president of PBHA during his time as an undergraduate

Memo

Response