M. Hoops Takes on St. Francis Tonight

By Jason E. Kolman

There are two sides to almost every issue.

Likewise, the Harvard men's basketball team has turned in two very different performances in its two games so far this season.

There has been the encouraging, dominant profile that the team exhibited in a 78-58 demolition of Babson at home last Saturday. But Dr. Jekyll stayed in Cambridge last Tuesday, while Mr. Hyde took the trip with the team down to West point, N.Y., where Harvard dropped a tight 69-66 contest to Army.

No need to panic, though. If the Crimson (1-1 overall, 0-0 Ivy) can merely manage to sink just a few more of those jumpers that have been clanging off the rim, today's game against St. Francis should push the squad over .500 once again.

Scoring has been the Crimson's primary Achilles Heel thus far, and it probably cost it a victory over Army.

Despite taking 25 more shots than the Cadets, Harvard shot only 39 percent for the game, as opposed to Army's respectable 48 percent.

Factor in a grotesque 7-for-15 performance (47 percent) at the free-throw line, and the Crimson's source of defeat becomes even more evident.

The numbers from the floor this young season have not been pretty. The Crimson has shot 43.8 percent overall, 22.9 percent from three-point range and a very disappointing 57.9 percent from the charity stripe.

A less-expected problem against Army was rebounding. After crushing Babson on the boards, 46-29, in the opener, the Crimson got a dose of its own medicine as Army outrebounded it, 43-33.

If Harvard can solve the scoring woes and dominate on the boards, much of the remaining puzzle should fall into place. Harvard sports a particularly impressive takeaway to give-away ratio: 48 forced turnovers and 26 steals to 38 committed turnovers and 12 steals.

Let it Snow...

As always, the Crimson will rely heavily on sophomore center Kyle Snowden today.

One of the league's best newcomers last year, Snowden has picked up right where he left off, leading the team with 16.5 points-per-game and an iron-man 35 minutes-per-game. Seemingly immune to the shooting bug, he is connecting on a robust 65 percent from the floor.

Junior forward Darren Rankin and senior guard and captain Jarred Leake must also continue their solid play.

Rankin--the team's leading scorer a year ago--has emerged as the squad's best rebounder, averaging nine boards a game. He posted a career-high 10 in the victory against Babson.

Leake has been an effective floor general and defensive presence for the Crimson. His five assists per game and five steals lead the team.

Although the Harvard-St. Francis rivalry isn't exactly legendary, history has been especially kind to the Crimson. Harvard is 3-0 lifetime against the Terriers, including a 77-52 victory last year.

If the Crimson can pull off a victory today, it has a chance to forge ahead during a three-game homestand, featuring Holy Cross Tuesday, Lehigh next Saturday and Dartmouth on December 13.