North House to Be Named For Pforzheimer Family

Change Designed to Honor Longtime Contribution

By Jonathan N. Axelrod

North House will be renamed Pforzheimer House in honor of a family that has contributed money and service to Harvard and Radcliffe over three generations, several officials confirmed yesterday.

Sources said the change in North House's name did not come because of any single monetary gift. Instead, the new name is designed to honor the Pforzheimers' longtime involvement in all facets of the University.

"They have been role-models for University citizens both in generosity and active participation in various programs which have contributed to the community-wide quality of life," Joe Wrinn, director of the University news office, said late last night.

The family has contributed tens of millions of dollars over the years to Harvard to fund numerous scholarships and professorships.

Family members have been involved in Harvard and Radcliffe Colleges, the Kennedy School of Government, the Graduate School of Education and the University Professorship Program. They have been supportive of the library system in general and the Schlesinger Library in particular.

The Carl and Lily Pforzheimer Foundation gives grants to undergraduates to pursue public service. Last year, three North House graduates received such fellowships.

The naming of Pforzheimer House marks the first time that one of Harvard's houses has been named for a Jewish family or person.

In a letter explaining the renaming of North House to University officials, President Neil L. Rudenstine and Radcliffe President Linda S. Wilson extol the many contributions of the Pforzheimer family.

"There has been an extraordinarily intertwined and long-lasting history between the Pforzheimers and Harvard-Radcliffe," says the letter, part of which was obtained by The Crimson. "We feel honored that Carl and Carol have indicated that they will allow us to add Pforzheimer House to the names of the Radcliffe Quadrangle."

The move has already been approved by both institutions and the Harvard Corporation, the University's top governing board.

University officials confirmed last night that the change in North House's name was imminent and lauded the Pforzheimer's contributions.

"Even though I was hoping to announce this happy event at a house dinner December 14, I am delighted we are able to honor the extraordinary contributions of generations of the Pforzheimer family in this way," Dean of Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles said.

North House Masters J. Woodley and Hanna Hastings said they were pleased with the decision.

"We're just thrilled! It's just what we've been asking for," Hanna Hastings said. "We wanted to be more than a direction."

After the masters learned yesterday evening that The Crimson would run a story this morning detailing the name change, a special house meeting was called to inform students.

The University had originally scheduled the announcement for next week.

Tutors came to students' doors around 11 p.m. last night to tell students of an emergency house meeting.

North House residents said they thought something terrible had happened until the actual announcement was made.

Some students were less than enthusiastic about the change.

"I think it makes us feel like British snobs," said Kathryn K. Huang '97. "I would prefer North."

Others, though, were not so negative.

"It's a shock but I guess it's not that big a deal, just odd," said Jeff H. Yin '95. "I've been expecting to get a degree from North House, but I guess they are good people so it's all right."

Some North House students, who had heard rumors of a name change in recent weeks, had begun a movement to "Save North," according to one student there.

The Pforzheimers' involvement spans three generations, beginning with Carl H. Pforzheimer Jr.'28, also a Business School graduate. He was president of the Harvard Alumni Association (HAA) during the 1980s.

He has served on many University committees, most notably as a member of the Committee on University Resources.

"Being fortunate enough to lead a life that is privately happy and hopefully is publicly useful is to me a most privileged condition," he wrote in Who's Who in America. "Maybe I can impart this philosophy to the upcoming generation."

His wife, Carol K. Pforzheimer '31, has also been actively involved in the University. She has been a trustee of Radcliffe College, director of the Radcliffe Alumnae Association's board of management and recipient of the Radcliffe distinguished service award.

Both Carl and Carol received alumni medal awards in 1987 from the Harvard Alumni Association (HAA).

Two of their children continued the history of involvement.

Carl H. Pforzheimer III '58, known to University insiders as "CHP3," continued in the family tradition and is currently vice president of HAA. He is said to be in line for the association's presidency.

He has also served on the visiting committee for the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, the schools and scholarship committee and the planning committee on faculty development and recruitment.

Carl III is chair of the board of the Horace Mann School in New York and of Pace University.

His sister, Nancy P. Aronson '56, has been very active in the Graduate School of Education.

Carl III's son, Gary M. Pforzheimer '84, who is also a Business School graduate, has been active in the University's planned giving organization

Others, though, were not so negative.