Council VP Calls for Vote on Winthrop Master

By Eric S. Bassin

Undergraduate Council Vice President Brandon C. Gregoire '95 said yesterday he will call for a house referendum on the performance of Winthrop House Master Paul D. Hanson and Senior Tutor Greg Mobley.

Gregoire said the referendum would ask whether residents have confidence in Hanson and Mobley following their handling of a house meeting over holiday decorations Tuesday.

Gregoire said he will file official complaints against both Hanson and Mobley with Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III and Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 today. He said he expected to meet today with Jewett to discuss the issue.

Hanson denied Gregoire's charges and said he hopes to meet with the student.

Hanson called the house-wide gathering after the house committee approved a new policy on holiday decorations in a sparsely-attended meeting last week. Gregoire alleged that Hanson should not have scheduled a meeting to second-guess the house committee's decision.

Gregoire also objected to Hanson's handling of the issue of a house Christmas tree. Hanson has previously spoken against a dining hall Christmas tree because the master feared it would offend people, Gregoire charged.

The approximately 30 students who attended the house meeting agreed that the tree should go up, Gregoire said. But Hanson thought that "putting up the tree was offensive" and "continued to press the issue" of whether a Christmas tree would bother house residents, Gregoire charged.

"[Hanson] was not taking into regard Christians in the house," Gregoire said. "[T]he whole premise was to forestall and prevent the erection of the Christmas tree.... His actions and some of his statements were anti-Christian."

Gregoire claimed he heard from several students that after he left the house-wide meeting before its conclusion, Mobley talked about him to Hanson. The vice president said he felt Mobley's comments were inappropriate.

But pressed last night for proof of that the comments were made, Gregoire was unable to produce any. He refused to identify the students.

Hanson and Mobley defended themselves against Gregoire's accusations.

Hanson said the reason for the house-wide meeting was an "unclarity" over the meaning of the house committee's new holiday decoration policy. According to house committee leaders, the new policy would set up a house fund which students could use to purchase the decorations of their choice.

"If there are differences of opinion or unclarities, you sit down and talk," Hanson said. "That was the motivation behind the meeting."

He denied being anti-Christian.

"I am deeply committed to the Christian faith," he said. "Any accusation that I am anti-Christian or for that matter, anti-Jewish or anti-Muslim, is...ludicrous. I am not the master of a Christian house... and my job is to be even-handed in relation to all students."

Mobley said he has "nothing personal against" Gregoire.

"I do the best job I can for every student at Winthrop House...and that includes Brandon Gregoire," Mobley said early in the evening.

The senior tutor could not be reached for comment late last night on the allegation that he talked about Gregoire after the student left the meeting.

Hanson said Gregoire is refusing to meet with him, despite repeated requests.

"He's talking to everybody except the ones with whom he's having a difference of opinion," the master said. "I fervently wish that he would be willing to sit down and talk to me. I am not a closed-minded individual."

Hanson also defended Mobley.

"I've never met a senior tutor more committed to his students," the house master said.

Both Hanson and Mobley also noted that the issue of holiday decorations has already been resolved. The house meeting endorsed the policy earlier decided by the house committee.

"I don't really understand what the problem continues to be, because we're going to do what the house committee wants," Mobley said.

Gregoire said he plans to picket Winthrop House, even if his complaint to Jewett and Epps produces results. Gregoire said he will also request that his student files be removed from Winthrop, and said he "doesn't really have confidence" in Mobley as a recommender for law school applications.

Epps said he was surprised at Gregoire's request that his files be removed.

"Goodness. That's pretty extreme," Epps said. "We would first want to review what's going on there."

Gregoire said Epps did not return his repeated phone calls yesterday

He denied being anti-Christian.

Hanson also defended Mobley.