Reform Minyan Is Not Reformed

To The Editors:

As chair of the Reform Minyan at Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel, I have to ask, please, don't call us the Reformed Minyan ("Problems with Hillel's Architecture Persist," news story, Dec. 11). Since the Reform Movement was founded in the mid-1700s with the idea of thinking about religious practices and adapting them to be more relevant to the modern world, there has been almost constant change.

With all the brilliant thinkers of our Movement, never has anyone felt that we've achieved our goal of developing precepts which fully jibe with modern life while maintaining just the right level of attachment to tradition. We expect in the future to continue to adapt to further changes in culture.

So, while the members of our Minyan are comfortable with our current religious practice, we are not ready to move in to the past tense, and we continue our diligence as the Reform Minyan. --Lawrence E. Wilson '96   Chair, Reform Minyan   Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel

Samuel J. Rascoff is suffering from a mysterious, flu-like ailment. His column will return after the break.