Two Students Report on Life in Haiti

Duplessy, David Discuss Their Experiences at Black History Month Celebration

By Gina L. Paik

Two students who went to Haiti on a fact-finding mission discussed their experiences Saturday in a Black History Month celebration sponsored by the Haitian Alliance, Caribbean Club and Fuerza Quisqueyana.

Approximately 40 people turned out for the discussion at North House, entitled "Haitian Reality: A Discussion of the Facts Regarding the Situation in Haiti."

Nadine Duplessy '96 and Boston University undergraduate Sherley David led the discussion. Both were members of the Third New England Delegation to Haiti.

The Third Delegation was formed "to talk to ordinary people [in Haiti], hear what they say and report to the American media and [exiled Haitian President Jean-Bertrand] Aristide," David said.

"The U.S. media always places an emphasis on the embargo, but in Haiti, the focus is on the systematic repression against those who are prodemocracy," Duplessy said.

"We wanted to study the plight of women, and to see how the embargo affected them," she said.

The delegation also presented a Massachusetts Legislature resolution supporting Aristide to the Haitian National Assembly.

The delegation found that what the Clinton administration publicly says it plans to do is completely different from what the U.S. embassy actually does in Haiti, according to David.

"The U.S. embassy said that there is not systematic repression in Haiti, but human rights activists there tell us that right now there are 250,000-400,000 internal refugees in hiding," Duplessy said.

Duplessy and David stressed the importance of U.S. support in Haiti and encouraged students to push for change in America's policies.

"Write to Congress, Ask 'What is the U.S. doing in Haiti?' Ask questions," David said. "That's the only way you'll know."

Some Harvard students in the audience said David's words inspired them to action.

"I feel like I have to do all I can as a Haitian-American. I've always thought of ideas (as to) how I could get involved, but this has really pushed it for me," Emmanuelle Fleurinor '97 said. "I am going to go write that letter."

The Third New England Delegation was in Haiti between February 5 and 9 and included two state representatives, five area college students, a Brandeis professor and three local residents,Duplessy said.

The first New England Delegation was formed inOctober 1993 to accompany Aristide back to Haiti.Aristide sent the first delegation ahead afterHaitian military leader Raoul Cedras refused torelinquish power on October 15, 1993.

The two-hour Black History Month celebrationbegan with performances by Haitian students fromWest Roxbury High School, who presented a skitcalled "Heroes and Heroines in Black History andthe Struggle for Liberation.