Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

End University's Ties to ROTC

TO THE EDITORS

Last spring the Faculty Council voted to end Harvard's association with the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) as long as the military's exclusion of homosexuals continues to conflict with Harvard's policy of non-discrimination.

Harvard's non-discrimination policy has not changed, nor despite the proposals of President Clinton has the military's ban on openly gay men and lesbians.

Yet on Wednesday, Feb. 16, The Crimson reported that Harvard will extend its participation in the ROTC program so that students admitted to the Class of 1998 will be able to participate.

The Civil Liberties Union of Harvard deeply regrets the University's decision to extend the ROTC program.

We believe that ROTC's exclusion of homosexuals is an example of unjustifiable discrimination, and the Harvard should discontinue its association with ROTC as soon as possible.

For too long, the University administration has temporized on this issue. The time has come for Harvard to abide by the decision of the Faculty Council and end its participation in ROTC. Eric D. Miller '96   for the Executive Board of the Civil Liberties Union of Harvard