Matherite Starts Humor Magazine

New Publication Open to Submissions From House Residents

By Elizabeth M. Angell

Mather House may soon gain a new stereotype: humor haven.

Tony's Humor Magazine, a house publication open to submissions from Mather House residents, debuted last Tuesday.

Anthony M. Zacharek '95, the founder, said he would like the magazine to be a relaxed and fun experience for both writers and readers.

"I want it to be a carefree kind of a thing," he said.

Zacharek said he feels the slogan beneath the masthead says it all. "Welcome to Tony's Humor Magazine," it reads. "Take a few moments and sit back (in your chair, on the floor, or on the toilet seat) and take a glance. Enjoy."

Zacharek said he hopes the magazine will "serve a wide variety of humor interests and appeal to a large audience."

Zacharek said that the little feedback he has received has been positive.

"Some people have come up [to me] and said it was a good thing," he says.

Several Mather residents who were vital to the realization of Zacharek's dream said they believe he magazine is an important contribution to the House.

"I think Mather House is a pretty lively house and very humorous, and this is a good way to channel those ele- ments into a collective effort," said Dong Qie'96 a contributor.

"It is a house function and if it continued togrow and become self-sufficient, it would giveanother facet to Mather House," said ChristopherG. Evans '95, treasurer of the Mather Housecouncil, which granted Zacharek the money to getthe publication started.

The future of the magazine is uncertain,Zacharek said. Though the next issue is scheduledfor early May, the publication "is not something Ithink people can expect to come out on a regularbasis," he said.

Zacharek also said the name will "definitely"change.

He says he also plans to involve writers fromother houses. "Anyone who wouldn't mind beingcalled a guest columnist from another house isfree to call me," he said.

John Aboud III '95, president of the Lampoon, aBow Street social organization which occasionallypublishes a so-called humor magazine, said he isnot worried about his newest rival.

"What's the name of that thing again?" saidAboud, who is a Crimson editor.

Zacharek said he did not start Tony's HumorMagazine in order to compete with the Lampoon, butto complement it.

"I think the Lampoon is a respectable humormagazine and I think they do some funny stuff,"Zacharek said. "But [people in Mather House]thought the Lampoon was kind of narrow in scopesometimes.