Walsh Subpoenas City Mayor

In Fraud Trial, Councillor Asks Reeves, Others to Testify

By Terry H. Lanson

Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 and several other Cambridge politicians are listed as possible defense witnesses for City Councillor William H. Walsh, who is on trial in federal court for multiple counts of bank fraud.

In addition to Reeves, City Councillor and Vice Mayor Sheila T. Russell and former Cambridge Mayors Walter J. Sullivan and Alfred E. Vellucci are scheduled to testify for Walsh. Only Vellucci has refused to actually take the stand, citing poor health.

Forty-three names appear on a witness list released by Walsh's attorneys. Walsh is facing 59 counts of bank fraud and conspiracy for his alleged leadership in a scheme to defraud the Dime Savings Bank of New York of approximately $8 million. The money was reportedly used to finance condominium developments in Massachusetts.

If convicted, Walsh faces a maximum sentence of 208 years in prison and $14.75 million in fines.

The trial began February 7 in U.S. District Court in downtown Boston and is expected to conclude by the end of the month.

Yesterday, Judge Mark Wolf told the jury that the prosecution would call only one more witness, according to David R. Leslie '69, the executive director of the Cambridge Civic Association, who is following the trial. Leslie said the prosecution could rest before the end of this week.

Former Walsh associates--including Frances G. Schwartz, an attorney at Walsh's law firm, and Ann Jarosiewicz, a paralegal at the firm--have already testified against the city councillor.

Walsh said he had approached Sullivan, Russell, Reeves and Velucci to testify, and all but Velluci said they would.

Walsh said that the witnesses would testify to his character, "among other things." He would not specify what these other things are.

Contrary to Walsh's accounts, Sullivan said he had not heard anything from Walsh about testifying. But the former Cambridge mayor said he would be willing to testify.

"Of course I would [testify]," Sullivan said.

Sullivan, who served on the council with Walsh, called the indicted councillor "a good colleague."

Russell also said she would testify for Walsh if asked.

"I've known him for many years," Russell said. "He's good person. I'm sure Mr. Walsh can explain his actions."

Reeves could not be reached for comment yesterday.