Green Departure Remains Mystery

Provost, University Refuse to Explain

By Elizabeth T. Bangs

Harvard officials yesterday again refused to explain Jerry R. Green's sudden departure from his job as provost, the University's second highest post.

Green did not return repeated phone calls to his office and refused to talk when approached at the cancan to Massachusetts Hall late yesterday afternoon, even though he had phoned a Crimson reporter in the morning and promised an interview and a letter.

While Acting Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Jane H. Corlette called Green's departure a "resignation" on Tuesday, Harvard officials have consistently refused to say whether it was the provost's decision to leave his post.

Albert Carnesale, dean of the Kennedy School of Government, is rumored to be a contender to replace Green.

The only statement to come out of Massachusetts Hally yesterday came in a letter to The Crimson from President Neil L. Rudenstine. The letter was released by Corlette, who said Harvard would answer to further questions on Green.

Just as he did in a University press release Tuesday, Rudenstine praised Green's performance as provost.

But his letter offered no explanation for Green's leaving the position.

"The entire Harvard community has benefited from Jerry's adminis trative ability and responsiveness, his soundmanagement of complex problems, and the astute torole he has played in planning for the comingfund-raising campaign," Rudenstine wrote. "All ofus owe him our admiration and thanks."

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles and Deanof the Medical School Daniel C. Tosteson '44also expressed support for Green in writtenstatements issues to The Crimson yesterday.

But they, too, gave no reason for hisdeparture.

'Poor Fit'

University insiders called Green a "poor fit"for the job Tuesday night.

Green's previous administrative experience hadbeen as head of Harvard's economics department,and observers said he was not entirelycomfortable with the leadership role the jobprovost required.

The Crimson learned Tuesday that Green may haveapproached Rudenstine about leaving early in 1994.According to this version of events, Rudenstineasked Green to wait until after April 10 to make afinal decision.

Statements released by top officials yesterdaymade no mention of Green being uncomfortable as anadministrator. Instead, they stressed hisadministrative abilities.

"[H]e is not only a distinguished scholar, butalso an excellent administrator," Tosteson wrote.

Tuesday's announcement shocked faculty andUniversity officials--including deans and membersof the Board of Overseers--who said they had notbeen informed ahead of time.

Members of the Board of Overseers, contactedduring the last two days, said Green's departurewas not announced at last weekend's board meeting.

"It really wasn't discussed," said overseerAlma H. Young, a professor at the University ofNew Orleans. "I was really surprised to see [thepress release].

'Poor Fit'