Princeton on Tap for Laxmen

By Anand S. Joshi

Take a quick glance at the Harvard men's lacrosse 1994 results and the pattern is all too apparent.

The Crimson has alternated wins and losses through the first six games of the season.

Beginning with an impressive 11-7 victory at Army up to last Wednesday's 16-6 loss to Brown, the Crimson has been consistently inconsistent--impressive one game, disappointing the next.

Going into today's game against nationally-ranked Princeton, however, the Crimson would like nothing better than to have the season-long trend continue--at least for one more game.

Keeping the string alive by winning today will not be an easy endeavor, as the Tigers boast a powerful offensive attack, orchestrated by senior Kevin Lowe, who leads the team in assists.

"We have to shut down Kevin Lowe," Crimson senior midfielder Mike Agrillo said. "We can't let him have a clear passing lane to find his scorers in the crease."

The Crimson must also contend with the offensive minded Tiger midfielder Scott Reinhardt and senior attacker Scott Conklin, who has found and goal-scoring touch recently in several multi-goal games.

When Harvard is one offense the Crimson attackers will be shooting in the direction of all-American goalie Scott Bacigalupo, and unappealing sight in net for any opponents.

Harvard will have to keep the Princeton offense from setting the tempo of the game--a strategy much easier planned than carried out.

"They're a pretty strong team throughout," senior midfielder Charlie Gay said. "They don't have any real weaknesses that we can openly exploit."

"We have to play some solid defense," Agrillo said. "If we control the ball enough we have a shot to pull it out."

The Princeton squad had been ranked number-one earlier this season, before being knocked off by Brown last week 7-6.

The Crimson squad, coming of its own disappointing loss to Brown on Wednesday, will have to regroup to tackle the Tiger today.

"It was a tough loss," Gay said. "But we're fired up now and we want to put the Brown game behind us."

"The win and loss pattern is more coincidence than anything else," Gay said.

Hopefully for the Crimson, with a win today at Ohiri field its talent, rather than its inconsistent efforts, will be what defines its season.