Epps Should Return U.C. to Students

By The CRIMSON Staff

The mysterious gorilla strolling in the Yard last week with the sign "Vote yes on U.C. Referendum" was an apt symbol of the the council's carefree (and careless) attitude toward democracy.

During last week's College-wide vote on the term bill fee hike, the council managed to waste three days to hold an illegitimate referendum. Despite the fact that the basis for the referendum was President Carey W. Gabay '94's arbitrary decree in response to Anjalee C. Davis '96's recent petition, the referendum itself was conducted in a wholly inappropriate manner.

The council neglected to administer the vote with even the most basic of safeguards. Council members have acknowledged that ballots cast Wednesday were left unsecured in the council's Canaday office. And throughout the referendum, many students were not required to show identification before casting their vote. Even a new-comer to council intrigues could see how pathetic the referendum was. "If you wanted to, you could vote as many times as you wanted," observed Edy Y. Kim '97.

In addition, council members tabled in their own houses--a violation of both the council's constitution and the referendum's rules. Former council Chair Michael P. Beys '94 even allegedly harassed and intimidated at least one voter just after she voted against the fee hike.

Due to the allegations of misconduct, the council voted just last night to invalidate the referendum. The council also voted to hold a new referendum which will include the issue of the check-off option on term bills in addition to the issue of the term bills fee hike. And the new referendum will be administered by a third party. All of these gestures move in the right direction, but they demonstrate the reactive ineptitude of the council in fulfilling its role as a representative institution.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III has already intervened three times in council controversies just this year. Epps has even considered a broader presence for the administration: "It sounds like things are a bit out of control. And I think the administration is going to have to take a more active role." Indeed, Epps will convene a meeting of the Committee on College Life this afternoon.

That Epps has been forced to intervene in the council's internal affairs threatens the ability of the council to fulfill the important role it should play on campus. An Epps-run Undergraduate Council is no council at all.

Unfortunately, the council's misconduct has been so appalling that the administration must intervene. Only by bringing all five issues of the Davis petition to a referendum run by house committees (with no campaigning within 50 feet of the voting tables), can the council become more accountable to students.

We urge students to take an active role during the referendum (and during next year's elections) to improve the council. For in the end, the council must be governed by students, not the administration.