Review was 'Indefensible' and 'Snide'

TO THE EDITORS

I have just finished perusing your May 5 Crimson reviews of both Alek Keshishian and his film "With Honors."

First, I must tell you that rare is the occasion when I pick up a pen to write such a letter but the unusually snide tone of those reviews really offended me and I very much want to convey these feeling to you. I am not a personal friend of Alek Keshisian's but I found your attacks against him and his work completely unnecessary and indefensible. you neglected to mention that Alek (according to my niece, a Harvard student), graduated summa cum laude. You preferred to focus on irrelevant nonsense such as his asthmatic difficulties and likening him to the pathetic Tonya Harding. You also took a cheap shot at him by referring to how he is angling to ascend in Hollywood.

Well, let me tell you a thing or two about Hollywood. I can, because I worked in that industry for 11 years. Even to get a "formulaic, manipulative flick" off the ground is next to impossible. "Did it ever occur to you that Alek might not have the professional choices or artistic control you presume he does? How much do you know about that industry anyway? Not much, I'd judge. At least Alek's creative endeavors are not limited to criticizing and diminishing other people such as yours are.

You would do well to turn down the flip, patronizing tone of your work. You've got a whole lifetime ahead of you to get so righteous.

And by the way, will you be graduating summa cum laude? It will be interesting to see where you will be in your career at age 25 ("Truth or Dare"), and for that matter at age 29 ("With Honors") when you are in the real world. Then we'll see what you have to say for yourself and about others.

Good luck and have a nice summer. Jane Davis