Weld Is Confident; Kennedy Vows 'Battle'

32-Year Senator to 'Run on His Record'

By Jeffrey N. Gell, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--While Gov. William E. Weld '66 and his supporters last night predicted an easy victory in this November's election, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 braced himself for his toughest re-election campaign.

Although neither incumbent faced opposition in yesterday's primaries, each candidate held a victory celebration last night to kick off the general election campaign.

Addressing a crowd of more than 500 assembled on three floors of Three Cheers Bar in downtown Boston (and reaching some supporters via closed-circuit television), Kennedy said he was the victim of Republican special interest groups.

"We are in for a real battle," Kennedy said. "We can't afford to be complacent--the stalces are too high."

But the senior Senator from Massachusetts said he deserves re-election in his upcoming race against Republican nominee W. Mitt Romney of Belmont because of his successful 32-year record.

"This campaign is about who is better able to lead the fight for working families in Massachusetts," Kennedy said. "I'm proud to run on the record."

Kennedy said he plans to focus on three issues--health care, employment and education reform--in the general campaign.

And the Senator portrayed both his 47 year-old opponent and the Republican party as obstructionists incapable of solving important problems.

"When they don't get what they want, our Republican opponents move to filibuster," Kennedy said. "They criticize the President and his program because they have nothing of their own to offer the American people."

Unlike Kennedy, Weld showed little concern at his rally--in the Georgian Room at the Park Plaza Hotel--for his new opponent, state Rep. Mark Roosevelt '78.

In fact, the incumbent governor challenged the Democratic nominee to four debates.

"We are happy, more than happy, to compare records," Weld said.

Sounding very confident, Weld promised more tax cuts and benefits to senior citizens during a second term as Governor.

And many of the 100 Weld supporters at the Plaza Hotel celebration said they were certain the governor would be reelected in November.

Bill Bozaglu, a Weld volunteer representing Somerville and Arlington, said this year's gubernational campaign is a "stepping stone for Weld's national plans."

And Weld's program even interests liberal voters, said Dick Hersum, president of the Association of Massachusetts Republican Committees.

"A really liberal Democrats candidate was telling me how many of her Democratic friends will vote for Weld and Romney," he said. "Unless something really strange happens, I don't think [the Democratic nominee] will beat Bill Weld."

While most of the guests at Weld's party wore business suits, Kennedy primarily addressed a crowd of casually dressed supporters, including many women.

"I think he's attracted a lot of women because he's a proponent for women's rights," said Rochelle E. Dacko, a sophomore at Boston University who attended Kennedy's party.

But Dacko said she was disappointed that the Kennedy rally attracted only ten college students.

Among the hundreds of the Kennedy faithful was Jerry R. Pearl swig, a 53 year-old Brookline government employee and self-described Kennedy "groupie." Pearl swig said he has followed the Senator throughout his political career, including during his unsuccessful 1980 presidential campaign.

"I've voted for him a million times," Pearlswig said. "I enjoy following him around taking pictures of him."

Carmen A. Chico, a 51 year old Watertown educator and coordinator of Kennedy's campaign events for Hispanic voters, said Hispanic voters will also support Kennedy.

"I don't see how the Hispanic community can rally around Romney," Chico said. How will these people, fight Kennedy with his record on issues?"