Students, Police Report Risks in Summer Storage

Lamps, Couches, TV Sets Missing, But Security Efforts in Some Houses Praised

By Marios V. Broustas

Using Harvard houses for summer storage has never been safe, and this year saw an unusual array of thefts and damage to stored goods, students and Harvard police say.

Lamps, couches, television sets and, in one case, more than $1,000 worth of furniture were lost or ruined over the summer and during the opening week of school.

Some houses did better than others in protecting students' stuff. While Cabot, Currier, Mather, Adams, Kirkland and Dunster Houses generally did well in keeping items secure, Lowell, Eliot, Winthrop, North, Leverett and Quincy Houses experienced numerous storage problems, according to informal interviews with dozens of students.

In Lowell House, an unidentified student filed a report with Harvard police claiming that a television, three down pillows, a duvet cover and several other items--total value of $1,130--were missing from storage.

"There is no security," said Jennifer S. Frautschi '96, who lost a $75 rug and a heater. "I'm quite shocked actually."

Frautschi said the house's honor system seems to be failing. Since only students have access to stored furniture, it is inevitable that missing items were taken by fellow students, she said.

Asked about storage security, house superintendent Jay Coveney declined to comment.

Over in Eliot House, the problem was water. One storage room was flooded in mid-summer.

"Some friends had boxes moved around because of the flood and I didn't find all my things until the last day," said Eliot resident John S. Burkhart '95, whose three roommates have each lost several items.

House superintendent Hank L. Slonina insisted yesterday: "What we put away, we find."

But the residents of several houses said they were concerned by the case with which boxes could be removed from storage rooms this fall. Students said house personnel did not check labels to ensure that items were claimed by their owners.

At Adams House storage, four roommates, who live in Claverly Hall, lost a couch. After one of the students found the couch in an Adams House hallway, the entire rooming group returned to pick it up the next day. By then, it was gone.

'Considerably Smoother'

Superintendents seemed to agree that the storage process was virtually flawless. In Adams House, superintendent William B. Long said he has not received any complaints.

And Dunster House superintendent Joseph O'Connor said he believed storage went without a hitch.

"I am surprised that it went considerably smoother than in years past," O'Connor said.

O'Connor said he sorted through items not claimed from storage and has attempted to contact the owners. Items not claimed are generally auctioned off and proceeds are handled by individual house committees.

O'Connor said storage in Dunster House worked well because he followed "strict rules." Still, Dunster students were allowed to take boxes out of storage without house personnel checking to whom they belonged.

The Rules

O'Connor said he thinks all houses should closely enforce storage rules, including the restriction that prohibits students who live within 100 miles of campus from storing in the houses.

The College has made attempts to clarify storage rules. Last spring, O'Connor, Quincy House superintendent Ronnie Levesque and an Undergraduate Council member toured the campus to address questions about storage, O'Connor said.

Levesque, who could not be reached for comment, is the chair of the House Superintendents' Storage Committee, which helps determine storage regulations.

But Quincy storage got few rave reviews from students. One senior in the house, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said: "A lot of boxes were lost and they lost my sheet of how many boxes I had."

North House and Leverett House also drew several complaints about misplaced or moved parcels.

Students in Currier and Cabot Houses said they had no problems with house storage, and Mather House residents praised the efficiency of the staff in handling boxes and couches.

But Winthrop House resident Yari Perez-Martin '97, whose trunk full of desk equipment was mildewed during a summer flood in that house, said she learned a valuable lesson.

As she pulled on her mildewed trunk, another student was complaining about what storage had done to his stuff, Perez-Martin recalled. A house security guard remarked: "You know, you store at your own risk.

'Considerably Smoother'

The Rules