Law School Scholars Make Twin Pushes on Haiti Policies

Anker, Others Sign Letter to Clinton Demanding Stronger Stance on Island

By Anne M. Stiles

Moved by concern for the human rights violations in Haiti, Lecturer on Law Deborah E. Anker co-authored a letter sent to President Clinton last week demanding a change in U.S. policy toward the war-torn nation.

The letter, signed by 49 law professors nationwide, urged Clinton to take a stronger stance in demanding demilitarization in Haiti.

The law professors, all of whom are involved in refugee and human rights issues, wrote in their September 22 missive that the terms of the present accord with Haiti are insufficient for a variety of reasons, but primarily because of the agreement's failure to fully demilitarize the aggressors.

"The U.N. troops have been in Haiti now for a week and the Haitian military has only been disarmed superficially," Anker said in an interview yesterday. "We're very concerned that total disarmament isn't called for."

Anker and the other signatories said they hope the terms of Clinton's September 18 negotiations with Haiti will be toughened. Under the present agreement, coup leader Raoul Cedras and his officials will resign on October 15, possibly with amnesty granted by the Haitian parliament.

Even if the junta holds to the terms of the current agreement, the Haitian public would still not enjoy complete safety, the professors said.

"[Deposed democratic leader Jean-Bertrand] Aristide and the people of his government have to be protected and that's the first priority. We must restore democratic civilian government," said Carolyn P. Blum, a professor at U.C. Berkeley's Boalt Hall School of Law, who co-authored the letter with Anker.

Blum said that disarming attaches, or civilians working undercover for the military, should be a priority for U.S. action.

"Disarming the paramilitary forces in Haiti is fundamental to any sense of security," she said.

The signatories said they advocate forcing the junta to leave the country and holding its members accountable for their human rights violations.

In addition to calming civil unrest, disarmament may encourage growth in the devastated nation, one of the professors said.

"Disarmament is one step towards eliminating some of the structural defects in the Haitian government as it now exists," said Peter Reich, professor at the Whittier College School of Law. "The Haitian government is totally out of control. Devoting less money to the military will help Haiti rebuild the rest of its economy."