Council Delays Deadline

Grants Due Oct. 31

By Kaustuv Sen

The Undergraduate Council finance committee extended the deadline for grant applications until October 31 with a unanimous vote Tuesday night, the committee announced yesterday.

The finance committee wants to make full use of the $36,000 the council can distribute to student groups this term and to involve as many student groups in the process as possible, according to the press release.

As of 5 p.m. Tuesday, which was the original deadline, the committee said it had received 112 applications for grants from student groups. While this number was near the total grant applications in past years, "the committee is committed to surpassing 200 applications this year," the press release said.

"We want to make sure that we get as much student use out of the $36,000 budget as possible," said Clay M. West '97, chair of the committee.

"Judging by the number of calls we got from student groups who just couldn't make the deadline, we are definitely expecting 170 applications or upward this term," he said.

Only $25,000 of the $36,000 budget was disbursed last spring. The remaining funds went to the campus life committee.

"The application procedure is more comprehensive this term, and we thought that extending the dead-line would be the best way to maximize our service to the student community by allowing more groups to get their applications in," said Trea- surer Edward B. Smith '97.

"However, we will not extend the deadline any further," he said.

The council disburses funds to recognized student groups to help them start and to supplement alternate sources of funding. The average grant last semester was $200