HUPD Issues Safety Advisory To Community

Chief Says Student Was Raped in Sept.

By Andrew L. Wright

The Harvard University police yesterday issued a security alert to the community following a series of incidents which have occurred in recent weeks near Memorial Drive.

Police Chief Paul E. Johnson said yesterday a Harvard student had been raped in early September at approximately 10 a.m. while jogging in the area between the Weeks Footbridge and the Weld Boathouse.

Although Johnson declined to discuss the details of the rape case, he said in an interview yesterday the incident had been originally classified as an aggravated assault but was reclassified as a rape about 10 days later.

The three-page alert, which was circulated to undergraduate houses yesterday, cited another undated incident in which another female student reported that, while jogging, she returned to campus because someone was following her along Memorial Drive.

The advisory mentioned a third incident in which a Harvard student and his girlfriend were assaulted and robbed near Mather House. While returning home early in the morning last month, James L. Tierney '96 was reportedly attacked by five men who demanded money.

Johnson said the alert was simply intended to warn the University community.

"It's not an emergency. It's not something we want anyone to get alarmed about," Johnson said. "But we want to give some precautions that we'd like people to adhere to."

Johnson said the police have increased patrols in the Memorial Drive area. The alert said the area has become one of "deep concern to the Harvard University Police Department in recent weeks."

"We have increased patrols," Johnson said. "We guard ourselves where necessary and deploy our people accordingly."

"The fact that through either happenstance or coincidence [these incidents] happened so close to each oth- er is indicative to us that we should put [out] some kind of alert," Johnson said.

The Harvard News Office issued a statement last night saying that "vigilance is an ongoing priority for the University even if incidents occur off the actual campus, as was the case in each of these incidents."

Harvard officials declined to explain yesterday why the rape had not been reported to the Harvard community until yesterday--more than one month after it occurred.

The statement suggests, however, that the delay may have been due to questions of jurisdiction.

"Not all allegations of crime involving Harvard students are reported to the Harvard Police Department, but Harvard does make public reports of crime that occur on its campus," the statement said.

According to Harvard officials, the Massachusetts State Police have jurisdiction over the area in which the rape occurred. And State Police officers investigated the incident, officials said.

"Harvard also works closely with state and local police to ensure the maximum safety for members of the community," the statement concluded.

The safety alert issued by the police department contains a series of safety guidelines designed "to heighten awareness of potentially dangerous situations and to promote safety within the Harvard community."

The police recommended that people should:

* Not walk or jog along Memorial Drive or Storrow Drive alone.

* Avoid thick bushes, recessed doorways and dark areas.

* Walk along designated pathways when crossing campus.

* Keep doors closed and locked at all times.

The alert also contained information about escort and shuttle services and reminders about how to use emergency blue-light phones