Radcliffe Is Vital And Vibrant

TO THE EDITORS

We appreciate the Crimson's recent editorial endorsement of a strong Radcliffe and of our current restructuring plans ("Radcliffe Takes a Step Forward"). However, my colleagues and I must ask your help in correcting a major factual error.

It is wrong to state that Radcliffe College will be "disbanded" or even divided "into two organizations." Until now, the College has operated with many disparate education, research and policy programs. Our new plan offers greater opportunities for students and scholars by reframing the educational mission of the College, and by reorganizing what we do into two main branches--the Radcliffe Educational Programs and the Radcliffe Institute of Advanced Studies. Radcliffe remains a college dedicated, as it has always been, to promoting and furthering the education of women.

Radcliffe has indeed taken an important step forward, as the headline of your editorial indicates. We need your help in reporting the direction of that step with accuracy. Radcliffe College is, and always will be, a vital and vibrant institution of higher learning. Barbars J. Nelson   Vice President   Radcliffe College