Students Debate Affirmative Action

About 30 Attend Heated Discussion

By Andrew S. Chang

Supporters and opponents of affirmative action faced off in a heated panel discussion in Emerson Hall last night.

Approximately 30 students attended the forum sponsored by the Minority Students Alliance (MSA).

"We wanted an informal student discussion on affirmative action specifically relating to the minority student viewpoint," said MSA member Julie A. Chang '98.

William D. Zerhouni '97-'98, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Alliance, and Daniel H. Choi '94, a second-year graduate student in government, opposed affirmative action, calling it an ineffective program with significant drawbacks.

"The real tragedy of affirmative action is what it does to the people it is supposed to help," Zerhouni said. "Affirmative action is the ultimate band-aid, trying to tell us that we are a society without discrimination or injustice."

Choi said affirmative action creates unfair, unequal standards at the expense of white and Asian-Americans, particularly in college admissions.

"Should you lower the hurdles for minority students at the top institutions?" Choi asked, charging that Harvard accepts minority applicants with lower grades and standardized scores.

"There are double standards at work," he said.

James S. Hoyte '65, assistant to the president and associate vice president, who attended the forum on behalf of the University, responded to Choi's statement, saying admissions decisions are never made solely on the basis of scores.

Panelists Jovanni R. Neblett '98, a member of the Black Students Association, and Julie C. Suk '97, managing editor of Perspective, said they supported affirmative action as a way to acknowledge and compensate for the difficult circumstances faced by minorities.

"Affirmative action is just a way to try to level the balances that have been out of balance for so many years," Neblett said.

"It's important to have different standards for measuring different ethnic groups," Suk said.

"You have to take into account the hurdles and impediments that minorities have had to overcome," she added.

Neblett said diversity is one of affirmative action's many benefits.

"If you promote diversity, people will learn about other races and other cultures, so that we will hopefully eliminate the stereotypes and discrimination that exist today," Neblett said.

But Choi argued that affirmative action is inadequate because it creates a sense of complacency for many Americans.

"Affirmative action makes everyone feel like we're doing enough to take care of the racist legacy in America," Choi said, arguing that affirmative action in hiring should be practiced as a matter of individual choice rather than as a government program.

Many of the students in the audience said they support affirmative action for its many benefits.

Zola C. Williams '97 said she believes that successful minority adults can serve as role models for minority children, adding that as a minority at Harvard she herself is such a role model.

"If they see somebody in their neighborhood attain some place in society because of affirmative action, it can be helpful," Williams said.

But others in the audience said they believe affirmative action is ineffective and even detrimental.

"It just seems that affirmative action is a superficial, short-term solution," said Naima L. Workman '98.

"In the short term, sure there's diversity. But in the long run, there'll still be problems," she said.

Workman also said affirmative action reinforces some of the stereo-types it is trying to solve.

"We have a society that makes children feel that they're inferior because they're disadvantaged," she added.

Hoyte, who moderated the event, said he supports discussions on diversity at the College.

"These types of forums are crucial to help us explore what diversity means," Hoyte said.

"If students have issues or concerns [about affirmative action], it is important that they have a way to get them out on the table," he said