Tim Hill Points M. Cagers Straight Ahead

By R. ALAN Leo

Freshman rooming applications can be deceptive.

Freshman Point Guard Tim Hill says he "put down average for just about everything" on his room form last spring.

Yet, six games into the Harvard men's basketball season, Hill has proved himself extraordinary beyond Harvard's hopes.

"We knew going in with the loss of Jared [Leake '95] and Dan [Morris '95] that we would need a point guard," says Harvard captain Darren Rankin.

Hill was expected to fill the vacant position along with senior Tarlin Ray, but when Ray was sidelined by an injury, Hill stepped upe.

The 5'11" guard now leads Harvard in assists (38) and playing time, averaging 35.7 minutes per game. His free-throw percentage (a whopping 85 percent) is second-highest on the team, and Harvard coach Frank Sullivan trusts him to take Harvard's technical foul shots.

And Hill has only been getting better. The freshman's stellar performance Tuesday night (23 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, a perfect 7 for 7 from the line) salvaged hope from a disappointing start to Harvard's Ivy-League Season, as Harvard lost 61-70 to Dartmouth in Lavietes Pavilion.

Success--and hard work--are no stranger to Hill, who commuted two hours a day from his home in Ijamsville (pronounced Imesville, not I-Jams-ville), Maryland to attend nationally-ranked DeMatha High School in Washington, DC, where he captained the No. 10 ranked DeMatha Stags.

"He's becoming a very good leader on the court," says Rankin. "It strengthens our confidence to see him calm out there."

It was as a sophomore starter on DeMatha's varsity that Hill first directed larger, older players. His leadership didn't end when he stepped off the court, however; his senior year the Honorable Mention All-American was also student council president.

When all five of DeMatha's starters signed with Division I schools last year, Hill became the fifth DeMatha grad to play basketball for Harvard.

Past cagers on the DeMatha-to-Harvard Express include James Brown '73. Brown, who holds the Harvard record for most field goals in a game (18), is now an NFL sportscaster on the Fox network.

Although Hill signed with Harvard in November of '94, he said in an interview that the Crimson's disappointing 6-20 season in '94-'95 would not have influenced his choice.

"I never had second thoughts," Hill said. "The neat part about coming here is that me and the other guys on the team, we have the feeling that we can start something new here at Harvard."

How is Harvard's young floor general adjusting to college life? Coming from a small boys' school made for some early adjustment. "It was crazy coming here the first week--with girls," Hill said.

Hill's high school commute, coupled with his academic and athletic drive, demanded time management skills which Hill says he has carried with him to Harvard.

"I'm pretty much a focused person," Hill says. "I never go and party that much."

Smiling, Hill adds "I'm kinda, like, a 'good kid,' you know?"

Yes Tim, we know.