UHS Will Renovate Stillman

Overnight Patients Will Stay at MIT

By R. ALAN Leo

Students seeking overnight care at University Health Services (UHS) during exam period next month may be sent to MIT for treatment, Harvard officials said yesterday.

Stillman Infirmary, the UHS inpatient center, will be closed for 11 weeks for renovations beginning in at the end of January, according to UHS Director David S. Rosenthal '59.

Although the contract for the construction is not yet finalized, renovations are scheduled at the same time as the undergraduate exam period.

The Stillman renovation is the first phase of a year-long renovation which will affect 40,000 square feet of the UHS building at 75 Mt. Auburn St.

Harvard students and affiliates who require overnight treatment during the weeks Stillman Infirmary is closed will be sent to the Inpatient Unit at MIT's infirmary.

MIT's Inpatient Unit has 18 beds, which should be able to handle both MIT and Harvard cases, according to Head Nurse of the Inpatient Unit Mary J. Avelino.

According to the office of MIT's Dean of the College, most MIT students are off campus for "independent activities period" during the month of January, and will not return until February 5.

This will not be the first time Harvard students have been taken to MIT for overnight treatment.

"This is a service we have provided to Harvard in the past," Avelino said.

According to Avelino, UHS inpatient cases were sent to MIT last year while workers repaired a plumbing problem at Stillman Infirmary.

All of the currently planned renovations to the UHS building are scheduled to be finished by January 1997. The work at Stillman should be completed by late March or early April.

Tara L. Adamovich '97, chair of Harvard's undergraduate Student Health Advisory Council, said yesterday she was not aware of the planned renovations.