Radcliffe President Speaks on Restructuring

Wilson Details College's Academic Plan; Students Say They Hope to Help Make Decisions

By Justin D. Lerer

Radcliffe President Linda S. Wilson spoke to a crowd of around 50 female undergraduates and fielded questions with vice president Barbara J. Nelson in the Lyman Common Room on Thursday evening.

In her speech, Wilson described the recently-announced restructuring of Radcliffe and discussed how it would affect undergraduates.

"The President described the entire academic plan of the College," Nelson said.

"Linda Wilson told us what the basic theories behind the Radcliffe reorganization were," said Megan L. Peimer '97, a member of the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS).

Students came to the meeting thirsty for the facts on the reorganization. "Over the past couple of weeks, people have built up some anxiety about finding out exactly what the changes will mean," said Rachel H. Garlin '96, another RUS member.

Students expressed interest in becoming involved in the decision-making process as Radcliffe begins its transition to a new structure.

"I'm interested in seeing how the process continues," said Garlin. "I'm very eager for undergraduates to become involved in the process."

"In order for [the restructuring] to best serve students, there has to be student input," said Melissa G. Liazos '96, a coordinator for the Lyman Common Room.

While Wilson said student groups would be more involved in the process of restructuring than they had been, students said they were not satisfied.

"I was more worried going out of the meeting than coming in, because it was evident that there hadn't been any undergraduate input," Liazos said.

She said that she did not consider the "informal chats" Wilson has had with some students to be sufficent.

Peimer said that she worried about the lack of a detailed plan for student involvement.

"There isn't a formalized way for us to have input yet," she said.

Students also reacted strongly to the elimination of the post of dean of Radcliffe College, roundly praising current dean Philippa A. Bovet.

"I think that she is one of the most open and friendly administrators I've ever met," Liazos said.

"I'm very upset about the fact that Dean Bovet is leaving, because she represents everything that I love about Radcliffe," said Peimer.

Nelson said that Wilson addressed the change in personnel "in ways that were proper" during her speech.