Nordiques Sneak Past Habs

Quebec Wins, 3-2; Bruins, Sabres Battle to a 1-1 Tie in OT

QUEBEC (CP)--Owen Nolan scored two goals and rookie Peter Forsberg had three assists as the Quebec Nordiques recorded a rare victory over Montreal, beating the Canadiens 3-2 yesterday night.

Since winning the first two games against the Canadiens in the Stanley Cup playoffs two years ago, Quebec was 1-10-1 in meetings with Montreal, including a 6-5 defeat in Montreal on Wednesday night.

The Nordiques improved their home-ice record to a league-best 14-1-3. They are undefeated in their last 10 games at Le Colisee.

The Canadiens made it close when Pierre Turgeon closed the gap to 3-2 at 11:56 of the third period with his second goal in as many games since joining Montreal in a trade from the New York Islanders.

The Nordiques surrendered the first goal in the rematch. Benoit Brunet beat goaltender Stephane Fiset from the edge of the goal crease during a first-period power play.

But Quebec gained control after Nolan tied it on a power play 4:29 later. He knocked down a crisp pass by Forsberg and lifted the puck over goaltender Patrick Roy.

Joe Sakic moved Quebec into a lead it never relinquished, scoring his 16th goal on a power play in the second period.

Nolan extended the margin to 3-1 with 2:01 to play in the period, redirecting a pass by Bob Bassen from the lip of the crease.

Sabres 1, Bruins 1

BOSTON--Yuri Khmylev scored on a Buffalo power play midway through the first period and Boston's Cam Neely tied it in the second period yesterday night as the Sabres extended their unbeaten streak to five games in a 1-1 tie with the Bruins.

Boston outshot Buffalo 36-23, but goalies Dominik Hasek of the Sabres and Blaine Lacher of the Bruins came up with big saves. Neither faced a shot on goal in the overtime.

The Sabres remained one point ahead of the Bruins in the multiteam chase for playoff berths in the Eastern Conference.

Unable to manage a single shot for the first 5.5 minutes. the Sabres took 1-0 lead during a major penalty assessed Boston's Glen Murray for high-sticking Matthew Barnaby. Murray also received a game misconduct.

With just 25 seconds left on the penalty, Khmylev tucked the puck into the corner past Lacher on a rebound of a long shot by Dale Hawerchuk. Khmylev's goal extended Buffalo's streak of scoring with a man advantage to five games.

The Bruins, who outshot Buffalo 13-7 in the first period, tied the score 1-1 in the second period, in which Buffalo was shotless for the first 16 minutes.

At 13:45 of the tight-checking period, Neely scored his 21st goal on a short flip with Hasek out of position after stopping John Gruden's backhander. Adam Oates set up the score on the sixth of nine Boston shots in the period.

The Bruins had a 14-12 advantage in shots in the third period, but neither team broke through.

Flyers 5, Lightning 4

PHILADELPHIA--John LeClair continued his good fortune against Tampa Bay, scoring early in the third period to help the Philadelphia Flyers defeat the Lightning 5-4 yesterday night.

LeClair skated to the top of the blue line and unloaded a slap shot that beat goalie J.C. Bergeron between the pads at 4:51.

LeClair has six goals in his three games against Tampa Bay this season.

Philadelphia, first in the Atlantic Division, is 13-5-2 in its last 20 and has won seven of its last eight at home. Tampa Bay, which has never won in Philadelphia (0-3-1).