Jewett's Decision Best

DISSENT

By Andrew L. Wright

The staff, in its hallmark over-exaggerated, panicked style, calls Dean Jewett's announcement of complete randomization "social engineering" that would steal away opportunities for students with like interests to congregate. The staff seems to illogically link meeting places with residential communities, not understanding the nature of either one.

Presently, as students pursue their long-standing interests or develop new ones in the courses of their careers at the College, they expand their circles of association to a variety of locations both within and outside of their residential Hoses. Randomization does not affect the ability of students to meet; rather, it equalizes all students' chances of living in all Houses, and increases the chances that students will come into contact with others whom they otherwise would not have taken the time to get to know.

The Harvard House are remarkable places where a sense of community is built, no matter what the composition of the House, Randomization simply seeks to enrich that experience.

Randomization represents a concrete attempt by the administration to stem the increasing segregation to the College. While it is not the perfect solution, it is an important first step. Lorraine A. Lezama '95