Hunger Walk Earns $3M

26th Annual Event Joined by 47,000 People

Sunny skies and a communal interest in feeding the hungry produced positive results yesterday, as an estimated 47,000 people took part in the 26th annual Walk for Hunger-and raised $3 million in the process.

"I'm tired and worn out. But I'm finished and I'm happy. I'm a man and a man's got to do what a man's got to do," said 11-year-old Dewayne Foreman, of the city's Roxbury neighborhood, after he finished his first Walk.

The 47,000 people were both walkers and volunteers. Starting at 7 a.m., they spread over a course stretched 20 miles from the Boston Common out to Newton and then back along the Cambridge side of the Charles River.

Michell Nadeem, a spokesperson for Project Bread, which sponsors the walk, said an estimated 500,000 sponsors pledged $3 million.

Harvard's Office of Government, Community and Public Affairs also helped coordinate Harvard's participation in the event.

Harvard pledged to contribute 50 cents for each mile walked or for each hour volunteered by Harvard students, faculty and staff. Harvard said it would donate $10 per walker for all who completed the entire 20-mile course.

The money will go to soup kitchens, foodpantries and homeless shelters around the state.

"It was an ideal day, because there was a coolbreeze but it was sunny out," said Nadeem.

One walker, Joyce Foster of Boston, said, "I'ma churchgoer, but I gave up church today to helpfeed the hungry."

The $3 million will support 510 emergencyfeeding programs in 127 communities inMassachusetts.

"This is truly an astounding demonstration ofcompassion and concern for hungry families in ourstate," said Shoshana Pakciarz, executive directorof Project Bread.

"Today's extraordinary turnout clearly showsthat people in Massachusetts are personallycommitted to feeding their hungry neighbors: Theywalk so others can eat," Pakciarz said.

This story was compiled with AssociatedPress wire dispatches.