5,436 to Receive Degrees Today

By Sewell Chan

President Neil L. Rudenstine will award 5,436 degrees to students from 11 schools of the university at this morning's Commencement exercises.

Once the degrees have been granted, Rudenstine and Czech President Vaclav Havel Will deliver addressesat the afternoon ceremony which starts at 2:15p.m.

The National Weather Forecast projects a partlysunny day with a high temperature of 75 to 80degrees for today's ceremony.

The College will confer 1,563 bachelor degreestoday on 890 men and 673 women, according toassociate Registrar Thurston A. Smith. Ninebachelor of Science(S.B.)degrees will be awardedto engineering concentrators; the rest are of arts(A.B.).

Of the undergraduate degrees, 230 are withouthonors, 388 are cum laude in general studies, 369are cum laude in a field of concentration, 445 aremagna cum laude, 52 are magna cum laude withhighest honors and 79 are summa cum laude.

The number of diplomas marks a slight dip fromlast year's 1,625 bachelor degrees, Smith said.

Undergraduates will receive their actualdiplomas at afternoon ceremonies held at theirindividual residential houses. Other schools willhold their own diploma-granting ceremonies afterthe morning exercises.

Arts and Sciences

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences willaward 248 doctorates of philosophy, 211 master ofarts and 33 master of science degrees. No masterof engineering or master of forest science degreesare being awarded this year, according to thegraduate registrar's office.

Medicine

One hundred and fifty-six student will receivedoctor of medicine (M.D.) degrees and 14 master ofmedical science (M.M.Sc.) degrees at commencement.Graduates will receive their diplomas at anafternoon ceremony held in the Medical Schoolquadrangle, said Kate Cox, administrator forstudent affairs for the Medical School

Law

The Harvard Law School will award 551 doctor oflaw (J.D.) degrees, including 87 magna cum laude,306 cum laude and 158 regular degrees. The LawSchool will also confer 129 master of laws(L.L.M.) degrees and 10 doctor of juridicalstudies (S.J.D.) degrees, according to the lawschool communications office.

Business

The Harvard Business School will award 802master of business administration (M.B.A.) andfour doctor of business administration (D.B.A.)degrees. An afternoon ceremony will take place infront of the Business School's Aldrich Hall inAllston, according to Business School RegistrarCoral A. Sullivan.

Dental medicine

The School of dental Medicine will award atotal of 31 diplomas: 18 doctor of dental medicine(D.M.D.), seven master of medical sciences in oralbiology (M.M.Sc.) and six doctor of medicalsciences in oral biology(D.M.Sc.)degrees. Theschool will give graduates their diplomas at aceremony this evening at the Faculty Club onQuincy Street, according to the Dental School'sdepartment of postdoctoral education.

Public Health

The School of Public Health will award 100master of science(M.S.), 136 master of publichealth (M.P.H.), one master of occupational health(M.O.H.), three doctor of public health(D.P.H.)and 29 doctor of science (D.S.) degrees,for a total of 269 diplomas.

Degree recipients will receive their diplomasat a ceremony outside the Kresge Building thisafternoon, according to the School's registrar.

Government

The Kennedy School of Government will award 187master of public policy (M.P.P.) and four masterof public planning and urban planning (M.P.P.U.P.)degrees.

The school will also confer one master of cityplanning (M.C.P.), 214 one-year master of publicadministration (M.P.A.) and 48 two-year M.P.A.degrees. It will also award four doctorates.

The diploma granting ceremony will take placeat the Kennedy Memorial Park on the Charles River,according to Burt Hoffman, an assistant in theschool's registrar's office.

Divinity

The Divinity School will confer 47 master ofdivinity (M.Div.), 91 master of theologicalstudies (M.T.S.), 11 master of theology (Th.M.)andseven doctor of theology(Th.D.)degrees, for atotal of 156 diplomas. Graduates will receivetheir diplomas on the front lawn of Andover Hallat 1 p.m., according to staff assistant RonAlberts.

Design

The Graduate School of Design will confer atotal of 199 diplomas. The recipients will beawarded 99 master in architecture (M.Arch.), 44master in landscape architecture (M.L.A.), 24master of architecture and landscape architecturein urban design (M.A.U.D. and ML.A.U.D.), 27master in design studies (M.D.S.) and five doctorof design (D.D.) degrees.

Diplomas will be distributed at a ceremony atGund Hall, said registerial assistant SarahAnkner.

Education

The Graduate School of Education will award atotal of 580 diplomas: 21 certificates of advancedstudy (C.A.S.), 59 doctor of education (Ed.D.) and500 master of education (Ed.M.) degrees.

The students will receive their diplomas at anafternoon ceremony in the Radcliffe Yard.

Susan A.Chan contributed to the reporting ofthis article.

Arts and Sciences

Medicine

Law

Business

Dental medicine

Public Health

Government

Divinity

Design

Education