Identity Released

Ahn Was Driving With Machine Gun

By Andrew L. Wright

Harvard police have released the identity of the man driving the car in which a loaded machine gun was found Saturday in Harvard Square.

Police arrested Richard Chong Ahn, 22, of Spring, Texas, and charged him with disorderly conduct, reckless and negligent operation of a motor vehicle and weapon's possession.

Ahn and two juvenile women who were in his car were stopped by Harvard police for a traffic violation when a Harvard officer spotted the Luger 9mm automatic machine gun inside the car. The gun was in a bag in a console between Ahn and a juvenile in the front seat.

Ahn said he bought the gun in Texas "for protection against the Asian gangs there," according to the Harvard police report. He did not have a permit to carry the concealed weapon in Massachusetts, police said.

"Harvard Square attracts all types of people," said Harvard's Chief of Police Paul E. Johnson. "We are constantly exposed to these kinds of things. It's a daily occurrence; it's just that not every story makes the paper. As long as we have a University that's exposed to the urban ills, we have to be prepared for that."

Other Police News

Harvard police said they chased and eventually arrested an 18-year old Cambridge man Tuesday night after an officer saw him kick a man and try to steal his bicycle.

Rafael Guzman and a second, unidentified assailant approached the victim, who was riding a bicycle, at approximately 11:30 p.m. on South St., police said. The two men kicked the victim, grabbed his bike, and Guzman started to ride away.

But when Guzman saw Harvard Officer Brian Lakin, Guzman jumped off the bike and tried to run away. Lakin chased Guzman until he was finally cornered by other Harvard police officers near John F. Kennedy Park.

The police were unable to catch the second assailant and he fled in an unknown direction, Lt. Charles A. Schwab said.

Guzman was charged with unarmed assault with intent to rob and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Newell Boathouse

Earlier Tuesday morning, Harvard police arrested 19-year old David L. Moore of Boston on a Boston police warrant.

Moore was apprehended at Newell Boathouse at 4:48 a.m. and at the time of his arrest he was carrying a dangerous weapon, police said.

Moore was taken to the Cambridge police for the night and is scheduled to appear in Suffolk County Court, according to Schwab.

Juveniles

Harvard Police Officer Kevin Bryant apprehended two teens at the Greenleaf House at approximately 9 a.m. on Monday.

The two juveniles--15 and 16-years old--are charged with theft of property worth more than $250 and theft of property worth less than $250.

Schwab said he could not release any further information on the case because juveniles are involved.