New Center Will Tally AIDS, HIV Statistics

By The CRIMSON Staff

The Harvard School of Public Health yesterday announced the establishment of a new research and analysis center for the study of HIV and AIDS.

The Center for Biostatistics in AIDS Research will conduct statistical analysis of clinical trials, promote innovative strategies for medical interventions and study design in HIV disease research, according to a press release.

"By restructuring our program, we will be able to offer strong leadership with respect to adult AIDS clinical trials and pediatric AIDS clinical trials," said Professor of Biostatistics Stephen W. Lagakos, the Center's new scientific director.

"We have been engaged in statistical data analysis of AIDS clinical trials for eight years," Lagakos said. "Now, we feel it is an optimal time to try to meet the demands of a widening audience interested in drug and treatment effectiveness in AIDS."

The new Center will incorporate Harvard's Statistical and Data Analysis Center (SDAC), the "never center" for U.S. AIDS clinical analysis. The SDAC currently conducts analysis of data from more than 35,000 HIV- positive Americans, the largest such effort known to date.

It is estimated that worldwide approximately 10-12 million people are HIV positive and that a total of 30-40 million will be infected with HIV by the year 2000.

"We will also have a strong training component relevant to statistical aspects of HIV disease research for both the Harvard community as well as scientists around the world who would visit this center," said Harvard Lecturer on Biostatistics Kenneth E. Stanley, the Center's new executive director.

Matthew L. Alper, Harvard's SDAC administrator, will have the responsibility for fiscal oversight of the Center's activities, which include subcontracting, fundraising, planning and public relations.

"We are especially interested in new research initiatives," Lagakos said. "We have recently been able to incorporate new projects associated with the Neurologic AIDS Research Consortium, as one example."

The SDAC, the precursor to the new Center announced yesterday, has already been associated with major already been associated with major advances in the prevention of transmission of the HIV virus, according to a press release