M. Soccer Hopes to Roll Into NCAAs With Success

Crimson Finds Itself Ranked 12th in National Poll and Second in Ivies With Only One League Loss

By Joseph W. Lind

It's the end of another week, and the Harvard men's soccer team is still on a winning streak.

Two days ago, Harvard travelled to Maine for a chilly night game. Maine didn't present much competition for the team, as Harvard scored nine minutes into the game, and led four-nil at half-time.

The final score was five to one as the Crimson played conservatively in the second half and concentrated on keeping possession of the ball.

The win, along with a 2-0 win over Loyola, raises the Crimson's record to 9-1, 3-1 Ivy, but doesn't move the team from its second position in the league rankings.

In fact, very little changed in the league rankings. There was only one intra-Ivy game this week, Penn versus Columbia. Penn won 2-0, vaulting out of the cellar and into sixth place, knocking Columbia to the bottom of the league.

Other Ivy league teams spent the week locking horns with non-league opponents. Cornell lost 5-0 to Virginia, but beat Davidson 2-0. Princeton and Dartmouth also split their games, with Dartmouth winning against New Hampshire. Both Brown and Yale won their non-league games, with Yale downing Hofstra in O.T.

Looking toward the rest of the season, Harvard is waiting for a Cornell loss in the Ivies, and preparing for the NCAA tournament.

With a national ranking of 12, each one of Harvard's games are important. A high ranking will ensure a spot in the tournament, and earn the team some well-earned national attention.

The three remaining league games are important--especially the contest against Dartmouth. With one win and one tie, Dartmouth is a serious challenger for the league championship.

Next Tuesday, the Crimson face Northeastern on Ohiri field. As an underdog in the matchup, it would make Northeastern's season to topple the Harvard machine and jeopardize Harvard's high national ranking.

The Crimson's keys to victory should be to score early and rely on its stellar defense to crack down and keep possession.

"We've got a big break," sophomore Jordan Dupuis said. "It is a good time to get all the problems ironed out."

After having some easy practices yesterday and today, the team is easing into its preparation for Tuesday's game.

"If we continue to play as we have done we have more than a chance to beat any Ivy team," Dupuis said.

Yes, the Crimson is on a roll, and where they finish is up to the team.