R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Blaese of Glory

Tell us something we don't know.

Once again, female sports took a beating. In complete compliance with the Equity in Athletic Disclosure Act (EADA) passed by Congress in 1995, Harvard released its annual report yesterday on athletic expenses.

Overall, the Crimson didn't embarrass itself too much considering the school spends approximately $2,737 on each male athlete and $2,181 for each female. Not terrific, but definitely not in Cornhusker territory.

The one shocking discovery, however, revolved around the money allocated for recruiting. Eighty percent ($254,600) of the expenditures went towards the men's team, while the women's teams were left with a measly 20 percent ($64,011).

"It isn't that surprising," junior softball player Tasha Cupp said. "It also isn't that harmful to us because we have been able to bring in a lot of good recruits."

Not all reactions were so understanding, however.

"It is a fact that football and hockey recruitment may tip the scales towards male athletes," junior basketball player Sarah Brandt said. "But this blatant imbalance simply perpetuates the perception that these sports are more important."

Harvard, like many other schools, contends that the football and hockey teams demand more money for recruiting simply because of numerics and geography. Most teams possess only about 20 players, but in order to man a 100 person, for instance, the football program must entertain a much larger pool of potentials.

As for geography, everyone always says that hockey was born in Canada, so Harvard is forced to venture up North for its recruits. Is it really worth it though?

"Lately they are definitely spreading their range in recruiting," sophomore hockey player Craig MacDonald said. "Not every year down here is a good talent pool and there are some great leagues [in Canada]. I went to prep school myself, but in the junior hockey leagues, the players have that win it all or lose it attitude."

In general, the fact remains: guys outspend the girls in each sport. Interestingly enough, soccer was the only exception to this rule. The men's team spent only $59,560, while the females shelled out over $97,000.

"Our team went to Europe for the summer," junior soccer player Jessica Henderson said. "The men's team went away a few years ago, so it is very equal in that both teams get to go places. Our two teams are also very close, so I don't think that there is any resentment in terms of who spends more."

There is more going on behind the scenes, however. Each basketball season, the women's soccer team takes up residence at the Briggs snack bar and tirelessly earns money for its program. As a result, the team is able to expand its budget and see more of the world.

Many other teams work for their programs as well. Both the women's and men's water polo team scour Bright Hockey Center after each home game, while the softball team attends to the scoreboards and video at the field hockey games.

"Because we are able to work for the field hockey teams, we don't have to pay for any of our spring break trips," said Cupp.

So once again female athletes get the shorter end of the stick. The one bright side, however, is that the money differential between the sexes is slowly decreasing. Maybe one day men's and women's sports will be treated equally.

That would be some day.