Harvard Football Players Appear in Vanity Fair

Although the media relations department of Vanity Fair magazine insists its 1996 Ivy League All-Star football team was selected on the basis of athletic ability rather than camerasavvy physiques, several full-page close-ups of rippling chests seem to suggest otherwise.

Vanity Fair's October issue contains a 12-page photo spread featuring two Harvard football players earnestly engaging in warm-up exercises with 19 other Ivy League standouts, while the accompanying article describes the daily life of an Ivy League football star.

In August, the magazine flew the players to Los Angeles for a day-long photo session. Eion Hu '97, the running back who represents Harvard on the All-Star team, said the shoot was intended to change the scrawny, intellectual image of Ivy football players.

"I don't know how much it has to do with football," Hu told The Boston Globe. "They had us wear sweat pants and shirts that made us look retro, and then got us in these complicated poses. But it was cool."

Hu was hailed in the article for his spectacular play in last year's Harvard-Yale game, when he capped a 175-yard performance with a two-yard touch-down run that won the game for the Crimson, 22-21.

Matt R. Birk '98, a Crimson offensive lineman, also gained recognition in the magazine for his tattoo of a football emblazoned with the letter H. "Matt Birk wears his team spirit on his ankle," the caption says.

While Birk said it was nice to be recognized for his hard work, he added that his goal is to change negative perceptions about Harvard football.

Indeed,Vanity Fair's prediction for the Crimson's chances this season are dismal. The magazine refers to the Crimson as the "unthreatening" team every opponent "wants to slap around."

"Anybody on the outside of the Harvard football team has good reason to think that because of our performance last year," Birk said. "Anybody from the inside knows that there have been a lot of changes for the good."

According to Birk, the team has undergone a lot of improvements.

"It's nice playing the role of the underdog," he said. "When we do turn around and become very competitive in the league, it will become that much sweeter to surprise people."