UHS Provides Depression Screening Hotline

By Amy Leung

Under a new program instituted by University Health Services (UHS), students can call a toll free number at any time to be screened anonymously for depression.

Students calling the service, which will be in effect until January 15, will hear a series of pre-recorded questions which they can answer with a touchtone phone.

If the respondent's answers indicate a possibility of clinical depression, a recorded message encourages callers to contact the UHS Mental Health Department.

If there is an urgent situation, the caller is transferred to an emergency number.

"We're trying to alert students to the fact that there is depression and that it isn't uncommon," said David S. Rosenthal '59, director of UHS.

Depression is a major factor in suicide, the third leading cause of death in Americans aged 15 to 24.

While Rosenthal said Harvard's suicide rate--1.3 suicides per 15,000 people--is a little better than the national average, he said that the University must remain vigilant.

UHS decided to implement the hotline because of the high response rate to a depression screening line which was available to faculty and staff last year.

"It's a great idea...the more you encourage people to examine their piece of mind and about the resources available to them," said Thomas A. Dingman '67, associate dean of the College.

The depression screening program is the brainchild of Douglas G. Jacobs, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry.

The National Mental Illness Screening Project (NMISP), the Office of Health Education and the Bureau of Study Council are also aiding the effort.

Students yesterday praised the phone line, though none of those contacted had heard about the service.

"We'd like to encourage students to use it," said Rosenthal, who declined to give an estimate of the number of calls the line has received.

The screening number is 1-800-294-4045.