Heat Turned on Early Due to Cold Weather

As traces of frost begin to appear on the breath of Harvard students, some wonder when they will be able to return home to warm rooms.

Most houses across campus have already turned on their heating systems, but some students say their rooms are not adequately heated or complain that the heat in their rooms fluctuates.

"The heat in my room seems very sporadic," said Gregory M. Sulkowski '00, a Matthews Hall resident.

Roger L. Edgerly, a supervisor of operations and maintenance, said it is University policy to make sure student rooms are kept at 68 degrees during the winter.

As a result of a chilly fall, the central heating system has been up and running for the past week, according to House superintendents and maintenance supervisors.

But the steam has not yet flowed completely freely due to renovations before the winter season, Edgerly said.

Quincy House resident Shawn T. Samuel '98 said the system has not functioned perfectly.

"The heating is fine in my room," he said. "In new Quincy it's fine, but it's pretty chilly in old Quincy."

But cold rooms have not bothered all students.

"I'm from Mississippi, and if I'm not cold, nobody should be," said Julia A. Fowler '00, a Canaday Hall resident.