Cross-Country Runs Heps

Harriers Compete For League Title In The Bronx

By Shira A. Springer

The 20th running of the Heptagonal Cross-Country Championships takes place today at Van Cortlandt Park in Bronx, New York. The men are scheduled to race at noon followed by the women at 1 p.m.

The Crimson will have to contend without defending men's champion Ian Carswell and last year's ninth place finisher Killian Lonergan, who have not competed for the team this season due to injury. Sophomore Scott Muoio and freshman David Martin figure to lead the way for Harvard.

Overall, the race looks to be a three-way dual between Brown, Dartmouth and Navy. Brown is ranked in the top-25 nationally and the team is looking to improve on last year's third-place finish. Brown features an Irish connection with top runners Donal O'Sullivan and Neville Davy hailing from the Emerald Isle.

Defending champion Dartmouth, who is ranked in the top-30 nationally, should pose the strongest threat to Brown. Even though the Big Green lost four of seven from last year's championship team, top runners Dan Conrad and Aaron Schumacher are running well.

Navy was last year's second place finisher and has shown its potential by hanging tough in a recent dual meet with top-10 ranked Army.

Barring any freak natural disasters, Dartmouth's women's team should earn its third straight Heptagonal Championship. The Big Green are currently ranked fifth in the nation and lost only one member of last year's championship squad. Dartmouth has already knocked off national powers Wisconsin and North Carolina State this season.

Cornell also boasts a strong squad and figures to finish in the top three for the seventh straight year.

The Crimson are looking for a solid showing and are lead by sophomore Margaret Schotte and senior Jenny Martin. Martin, who placed eighth in last year's Heptagonals, is Harvard's top returning finisher. Juniors Heather Stroud and Magaret Angell are also running well for the Crimson.