Vermont Mounted Atop ECAC; Clarkson, Crimson Follow

'French Connection' of Perrin, St. Louis Make Cats Look Unbeatable This Season; Elis, Tigers Stuck in Ivy-Coated Cellar

By Rebecca A. Blaeser

VERMONT

Head Coach: Mike Gilligan, 13th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: First

'95-'96 record: 25-5-4, 17-2-3 ECAC

By far the scariest team in the league. After taking the ECAC title and then only losing in double overtime to Colorado College in the NCAA semifinal round, the Catamounts have almost everyone back.

Leading the charge will be the dangerous scoring combo of seniors Martin St. Louis and ECAC Player of the Year Eric Perrin. Both snipers collected 85 points last year, while their linemate, senior J.C. Ruid, amassed 29 goals of his own.

To make matters even worse for the rest of the league, All-American goaltender Tim Thomas (26-7-4, 2.34 GAA) is back for another season and will stand behind a solid defense led by seniors Jan Kloboucek (7 goals-11 assists-18 points) and Eric Hallman.

The one thing which could cause the mighty Catamounts to tumble will be lack of scoring depth behind the Perrin-St. Louis-Ruid line.

CLARKSON

Head Coach: Mark Morris, 9th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Second

'95-'96 record: 24-7-3, 16-4-2 ECAC

Despite losing a combined 75 points from Steve Palmer and David Seitz, the Golden Knights seem to be the team to challenge the Catamounts for the title.

The offense will survive behind Hobey Baker favorite and All-American Todd White (29-43-72) while senior Jean-Francois Houle (14-15-29) and junior Dana Mulvihill (12-12-24) look to step up their production this year.

Ironman goaltender Dan Murphy (25-10-3, 2.69), who played all but 62 minutes last year, is back. He will be supported by a strong defense of seven returning lettermen led by Mikko Ollila and Nicholas Windsor who showed a scoring touch last season.

HARVARD

Head Coach: Ronn Tomassoni, 7th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Sixth

'95-'96 record: 12-19-1, 9-12-1 ECAC

Even with the offensive talent of Brad Konik, Tommy Holmes and Kirk Nielsen and the goaltending of Tripp Tracy gone from the Crimson lineup forever, Harvard still has the potential to make a return trip to Lake Placid.

The Crimson is a very young team and is straddling a fine line. If it falls one way it could find its way back to the top of the league, but on the other hand, one false step and the youth of this team could cause an avalanche of losses.

Look for the Crimson to surprise some folks and to make a solid run at the league leaders. Although it doesn't yet have the experience or depth to challenge the top teams, Harvard will be a solid contender come March.

ST. LAWRENCE

Head Coach: Joe Marsh, 12th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Third

'95-'96 record: 20-12-3, 15-4-3 ECAC

Undoubtedly bitter after being upset by Harvard in last year's ECAC quarterfinal round, the Saints should rebound to make another legitimate run at the league leaders this year.

Considering the loss of its top offensive weapon in All-American Burke Murphy (33-25-58), St. Lawrence will have to depend on the likes of juniors Paul DiFrancesco (16-39-55), Derek Ladouceur (7-33-40) and Derek McLaughlin (10-16-26) to catapult the offense. One thing is for sure: scoring will not be a problem.

And at the other end, the Saints possess the best one-two goaltending punch in the league in junior Clint Owen and senior Jon Bracco. It will be just Bracco for the first half of the season, however, since Owen has been suspended for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

Losses to Jeff Kungle and Chris Dashney behind the blue line will also hurt, but three promising freshmen join returning defensemen Troy Creurer and Jake Harney and should make Owen and Bracco's job that much easier.

COLGATE

Head Coach: Don Vaughn, 5th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Fifth

'95-'96 record: 17-13-4, 13-5-4 ECAC

Many questions surround this team after it lost three of its top five scorers, but one thing is for sure: senior All-American candidate Mike Harder (23-31-54) is back, and Hobey Baker should look out.

Senior Dave Debusschere (15-15-30) will ease Harder's load, but this team's determining factor will be the play of junior goaltender Dan Brenzavich (13-9-3, 3.11). Up-and-down play has been his trademark, but Brenzavich has the potential to be one of the best at his position in the league.

He will get some help from senior Jack McIntosh, an offensive-minded defenseman who will have to step up his production if Colgate is to step into the top with the likes of Clarkson and Vermont.

Another face to watch will be junior Rob Mara, who nabbed the first ECAC Player of the Week nod after tallying the winning goal in the Red Raiders' 6-5 win over UNH.

CORNELL

Head Coach: Mike Schafer, 3rd season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Fourth

'95-'96 record: 19-8-4, 14-4-4 ECAC

After winning the ECAC Tournament in Lake Placid and grabbing an NCAA berth, head coach Mike Schafer could not have asked for more in his first year.

The party could be over this year, however, as the losses of leading scorer Brad Chartrand (24-19-43) and goalie Eddy Skazyk (8-5-3, 3.54) will hit hard.

The offensive burden will now be placed on seniors Vinny Auger (injury-plagued in each of his last two seasons) and Matt Cooney (13-21-34). Junior Ryan Smart (8-19-27) and last year's ECAC Rookie of the Year Kyle Knopp (11-19-30) showed great promise and should have a strong impact as well.

Adding to the mix this year is the always dangerous (and dangerous to pronounce) transfer Darren Tynshyshyn, who migrated from the University of Chicago-Illinois and should raise some eyebrows.

Minding the net will be junior Jason Elliot (12-2-1, 2.35), who split time with Skazyk last year, while the defense will be led by Steve and Chad Wilson. Unrelated in both blood and play, Steve has an offensive eye and tallied 30 points last season, while Chad is the tough enforcer.

RPI

Head Coach: Dan Frigden, 3rd season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Eighth

'95-'96 record: 10-21-3, 7-13-2 ECAC

The Engineers are another team to feel the pains of graduation. After losing four of their top five scorers as well as top goalie Mike Tamburro, RPI will have to turn to junior Eric Healey (18-22-40) and sophomore Matt Garver for offensive inspiration.

After playing only nine minutes last year, sophomore Anthony Pergolotti is the sole returning goaltender for the Engineers. Doubts about his inexperience, however, were put on hold this week after the young goalie stopped 30 shots in his varsity debut in RPI's 4-3 win over North-eastern. This solid play earned Pergolotti the Bauer/ECAC Rookie of the Week honors.

Helping Pergolotti will be defensemen captain Pat Brownlee and Cory Bilodeau. Scoring, however, looks to be the major obstacle facing this team.

DARTMOUTH

Head Coach: Roger Demment, 6th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Ninth

'95-'96 record: 7-20-3, 6-14-2 ECAC

The Big Green made the ECAC playoffs last year for only the second time since 1981, and it has the potential to be the surprise team of the 1996-97 season.

It returns its top two goalies and its top seven scorers; leading the attack will be juniors David Whitworth (12-18-30), Bill Kelleher (11-16-27), Jon Sturgis (7-9-16) ad captain Brent Retter. Although Dartmouth managed more than three goals in a game only five times, its enhanced experience will definitely show this season.

Goaltender and team MVP senior Scott Baker (6-7-3, 4.11) will have a solid crew in front of him. Senior defenseman Owen Hughes (4-14-18) and Alex Duman as well as Shane Ness and Dabe Risk should ease the effects of the losses of Dax Burkhart and Scott Dolesh.

BROWN

Head Coach: Bob Gaudet, 9th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Seventh

'95-'96 record: 9-15-8, 5-11-6 ECAC

After finishing only seventh in the league, the Bears will be hurt even more by the losses of Brian Jardine and the Humber brothers, Scott and Charlie. Seniors Mike Flynn (9-13-22) and Marty Clapton (8-8-16) will have to step into leadership roles; Adrian Smith (5-9-14) looked impressive as a freshman last year, and should increase his offensive production this year.

On the other side of the ice, Jeff Holowaty (4-6-6, 3.33 GAA) will take over sole possession of the netminding duties after splitting time with Mike Parsons. Junior defensemen Bob Quinnell and Jimmy Anderson should control the blue line effectively, although their offensive production needs to improve in order for Brown to go anywhere.

UNION

Head Coach: Stan Moore, 1st season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Eleventh

'95-'96 record: 7-17-4, 4-15-3 ECAC

As Cornell coach Mike Schafer showed the league last year, a new head coach can do wonders for a program, and Stan Moore will try to create his own magic from a dismal pool of talent in his first year.

Junior goaltender Trevor Koenig (5-12-1, 3.13) and sophomore Leeor Shtrom (2-6-2, 3.25) will provide solid play in the net, but the only forwards to pose a threat will be senior Chris Ford (8-17-26), sophomore Brent Ozarowski (13-11-24), and senior Russell Monteith (6-11-17).

After scoring only 55 goals in 22 games last season, the Dutchmen will have to find an opening to its opponent's net or else this year may be just like the atmosphere of its home rink--stifling.

PRINCETON

Head Coach: Don Cahoon, 6th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Tenth

'95-'96 record: 7-19-4, 5-14-3 ECAC

After falling to 10th in the league and only amassing seven wins, things will just go from bad to worse for the Tigers as they lose their top scorers and goalie James Konte. How bad do things look? The top returning goal scorer, Mike Bois, hit the net only eight times last year.

Jason Given (6-11-17) is the team's leading scorer, and that tells the story right there. Other potential offensive hopefuls will be Tony Ranaldi, Matt Bruch and Casson Masters. J.P. O'Conner collected 30 points two years ago and should attract attention in his return.

Defensively, the loss of Dan Brown (7-13-20) and Jason Smith will force sophomores Steve Shirreffs, Chris Barber and Dominique Auger to take more control.

Junior Erasmo Satarelli saw limited action in the net last season but will be looked upon heavily this year in Konte's absence.

YALE

Head Coach: Tim Taylor, 19th season

'95-'96 ECAC Finish: Twelfth

'95-'96 record: 7-23-1, 4-17-1 ECAC

How low can you go? No, it's not limbo, it's the Yale hockey team. After finishing dead last in the league, the Elis are in solid position to recapture that spot once again.

Let's face it, not only did they allow the most goals (109) and score the least (53), but their leading returning scorer--Matt Cumming--amassed only 14 points last season and their highest goal scorer--Ray Giroux--is a defenseman.

Hopefully for the Elis, juniors Geoff Kufta and Brad Dunlap will explode, while much hope is being placed on a large group of freshmen.

In net, sophomore Alex Westlund (3-10-1, 4.77) should get plenty of action this year while, senior Dan Choquette will serve as the permanent backup.

Giroux should be a defensive force, but he will need help from senior Sani Silvennoinen (back from injury) and freshmen Jami Chyz and Kevin Fitzpatrick.