Why Go Home For Four Days?

By Elisabetta A. Coletti

Despite exasperated complaints of overwhelming workloads and Draconian exam schedules, several hundred Harvard students simply refuse to take a break.

This Thanksgiving, Harvard is expecting an increased number of students to stay in Cambridge instead of heading home to Mom, pumpkin pie and a weekend of football binging.

Citing sleep deprivation, neglected theses and high travel costs, many students say leaving campus is a waste of their rare free time.

"This is the first time in months that I can take a short break from school," says Aaron Parker, a first-year graduate student in psychology. "Since I just moved here from California, this gives me an opportunity to get my life together."

Loretta E. Kim '99, who hails from Portland, Oregon, says that although she was disappointed that she could not join her family for the holiday, she believes a cross-country trip is simply impractical and expensive.

"I'm definitely sad and would like to go home," she says. "But I can't spend $500 for a ticket more than twice a year. I can wait until December."

Many students have optimistic plans to catch up on projects that have been put on the back burner over the past few months.

"This is the second year I won't be going home," says Alfred Fraijo '99 of Los Angeles. "It's a bit sad not to be with my family, but I find the long break an opportunity to work."

Although some students have never been exposed to Thanksgiving before coming to Harvard, they are planning to celebrate the holiday this year.

"Even though I never celebrated Thanksgiving before coming to Harvard, I have since realized what a wonderful time it can be for a family to reunite," says Delphine C. Gabbay '95-'97 of Lyon, France.

"I can't help but have a slight twinge of envy when I see all my friends heading home and I have to stay here," she says.

T-Day Feast

Students who are remaining within the ivy walls for Turkey Day will enjoy a festive Thanksgiving dinner courtesy of Harvard Dining Services (HDS).

Alexandra McNitt, project manager of HDS, hopes to make this a special day for many students who might otherwise be lonely.

HDS officials even plan to leave out hot turkey sandwiches and slices of pie late on at night "so that kids can feel as if they were raiding their refrigerators at home," McNitt says.

Between 600 and 700 Harvard students are expected to attend the dinner, which will be served in the Dunster House dining hall from noon to 3 p.m

T-Day Feast