Hillel Elects Officers

In a move that members said reflects their openness to Jews of different backgrounds, Hillel last night elected Adam M. Kleinbaum '98 the new chair, the first time in the past few years the office has not been held by someone with a traditional religious background.

Tally Zingher '99 was elected associate chair.

Kleinbaum, the current co-social chair, says Hillel has brought him more in touch with Judaism.

"I had to work hard to show people how important Judaism is to me," Kleinbaum said. "I think the fact that the community has made me the chair speaks volumes for its tolerance and its willingness to accept everyone, specifically Jews who haven't been as active in Hillel."

Kleinbaum, who is a Crimson editor, defeated Zachary Shrier '99, the head of Hillel's a cappella group Mizmor Shir, in the runoff election. Talia Milgram-Elcott '98, who is a Crimson editor, also ran for chair.

David J. Andorsky '97, the outgoing chair, said Kleinbaum's election reflects the best of Hillel.

"The single best thing about Hillel is that Jews of different backgrounds can come together. Hillel is committed to pluralism," he said.

"[Adam] has learned from others, and others have learned and will continue to learn from him," Andorsky added. "It's a two-way street."

Kleinbaum said he wants to meet the needs of the secular and reform Jews at Harvard.

"I'd like to restructure the reform minyan a little.... Right now it's a small handful of both adults, grad students and undergraduates," he said. "I'd like to separate the reform adult and grad student minyan from the students."

"A lot of people come to Hillel to meet people. They'll feel more engaged in the program if they're with people their own age," he added.

Zingher was also in a three-way challenge followed by a runoff. She defeated Steven Gordon '98 in the runoff election after Brian Eisner '98 was eliminated in the first round of voting.

Zingher said her goals include incorporating many views of Judaism and educating people about them.

"I want to look for events that will have an opening and welcoming atmosphere for all Jews at Harvard," she said. "I want to show everyone how much Judaism plays a role in their life."

Andorsky said while he has enjoyed his time as chair, he leaves the organization in good hands.

"Both have shown insight, initiative and dedication," Andorsky said. "I think things have changed for the better