Pyonteck: A Complete Outsider

The Undergraduates Council

Self - Proclaimed Undergraduate Counsel Outsider William J Pyonteck Jr.'00 is hoping that his Unorthodox campaign platform will earn him support when presidential voting begins today.

While many of his challengers are campaigning on nuts and bolts issues like council finance and core reform, Pyonteck is running on a broad platform that proposes seriously narrowing the council's focus.

Instead of attempting to address a wide range of student concerns Pyonteck wants the council to focus on a small number of issues identified as priorities of the student body.

"[council finance and core reform] are all the excellent issues, but you see how many of them there are," says Pyonteck a first year with no council experience. "We need to ask which one of them is the most important."

But Pyonteck hesitates to identify top priorities himself. He maintains that this is a decision that must be made entirely by students.

Pyonteck also does not propose how the council should go about discerning the students body's top priorities.

But the Thayer hall resident recognizes that his platform requires improved voter participation for this reason, his campaign is actively fighting student apathy and encourage students to turn on their computers and vote.

Also contrary to the ideas of many other candidates, Pyonteck does believe the council should not spend time dealing with issues outside of Harvard.

"The council is not here for Burma, it is here for students," says Pyonteck.