Leverett Learns Leisure Lessons

NEWS FOR THE WEEKEND

By Marian Hennessy-fiske

A group of 48 frazzled undergraduates gather in the Leverett House Junior Common room each week seeking relaxation and hoping for a little bit of excitement between the sheets.

Clad in boxers and underwear, one member from each of the 24 couples lays down on the floor and waits for a session of the six-week massage course to begin.

The program, which started February 1, is conducted each Wednesday evening by Tom Urnetta, a professional masseuse from Muscular Therapy Works in Malden, Mass.

Aimee Perl '96, who is responsible for organizing the class, said she the idea to start a massage group came from a friend who took a similar class at Tufts University.

"He tried the classes there and said that they were really fun," Perl said. "People usually just relax with the whole thing."

"It's not like we're walking around naked," she added hastily.

Lesley O. Chen '97 said she is glad the class is being held in Leverett House, rather than in a more public space.

"It's a good thing the class wasn't in the MAC or people would be wondering why everyone was showing up in boxers and underwear," Chen said. "I can just imagine rumors starting."

The dress code for the class was outlined during the first session. Men are to wear boxers and women, "the equivalent."

"If I wasn't comfortable with [the dress code]," said David G. Corlette '96, "I wouldn't go."

Eleni N. Gage '96, who is a Crimson editor, said the dress code acts as a good deterrent.

"People who would be embarrassed just won't take the class," she said.

And, besides, with the class in a smaller, secluded space Chen said, "no one will stare or embarrass anyone."

While the class is an unprecedented activity for the Leverett Junior Common Room, many students said they thought the location was one of its main attractions.

"It's more convenient in the House," Corlette said.

Pearl said that Urnetta receives a flat fee of $480 for conducting the class.

"[I] set the number of people at 48 because there's a limit to the number of people that can fit in the room and this way each can pay $10," Pearl said.

Gage said the class has been well-attended thus far.

"[The class is] very popular," Gage said. "A lot of people are talking about it."