Alexander Works to Appeal to Moderates, Conservatives

The New Hampshire Primary

By Flora Tartakovsky, Special to The Crimson

HOOKSETT, N.H.--Across the street from a gun shop posting a sign with the words "Go Pat [Buchanan] Go," former Tennessee gov. .Lamar Alexander visited a hunting and fishing shop here in an effort to appeal to conservative Republicans.

"I have come here today to reaffirm my support for the great American outdoors and Second Amendment rights," Alexander said outside of Steve's Sportsmen's Den and Tackle Shop.

Even while proclaiming himself a champion of the great outdoors, Alexander called on the federal government to loosen its controls over the environment.

"We must take out environmental extremists," said Alexander, adding that many federal environmental protection programs, such as the Superfund, have resulted in "more money going to lawyers and less to preservation."

With polls currently indicating that the race here between Patrick J. Buchanan, Sen. Robert J. Dole (R-Kan.) and Alexander is too close to call, Alexander was busy characterizing himself not only as a conservative but also as the only candidate with a vision.

"I am running a positive campaign based on fresh ideas," said Alexander, who told reporters that remaining on the high road and focusing on issues will be the key to victory.

Steve Courchesne, the owner of the sports shop that Alexander visited, agreed that a positive campaign will help the former governor.

"It will help Lamar," said Courchesne, who like Alexander was wearing a red and black plaid flannel shirt. "Let [the other candidates] fling the mud, [Alexander] will walk above them."

Throughout the campaign, Alexander has tried to portray himself as a candidate who appeals to the average worker.

"I am sweeping the votes of young people," Alexander said. "I am ahead in every one of the polls in New Hampshire."

Although he says that he is a strong supporter of federal grants and student loans, the former secretary of education is opposed to retaining the Department of Education.

Some local voters, however, were not taken by Alexander's efforts.

"I think [grass roots] is a front," said Fred McMurry, a resident of nearby Raymond, N.H. "[Alexander] is a crook."

McMury, who cited job opportunities as his biggest concerns, said he will likely vote for President Clinton because he has been employed for the past four years.

"I've been working steady for the past four years," said McMurry. "I'm going to give Clinton another four years."

At a bowling alley in Raymond, voters expressed disillusion with both the Republicans and Democrats.

"I want politicians to keep their promises--which they're not doing. All politicians have a negative image anyway," said Gela Howard, between frames.

But voters who gathered at Alexander's rally later Sunday afternoon at the Pinkerton Academy in Derry, N.H., did not not share Howard's lack of political enthusiasm.

Approximately 300 people wearing the red flannel shirt that has become a symbol of the Alexander campaign waited to see the candidate in the auditorium of Pinkerton Academy.

"He's the only candidate that can bring this country into the next century. He represents the average American," said Maura Weston, a Derry resident.

Before Alexander came to address the crowd, Sen. Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.) defended Alexander against charges made by fellow candidate Dole that Alexander's record is "too liberal."

Recounting Alexander's record on crime and taxes, Thompson reassured the crowd that the former Tennessee governor would represent conservative views if elected president.

Presenting himself as the only candidate who had a clear plan for America's future, Alexander said at the rally that Dole lacks a vision for America, while Clinton is guilty of faking a vision.

"We have a Democratic president who's faking a vision, and [Dole] is too decent to fake a vision he doesn't have," said Alexander.

Alexander's own vision includes less federal involvement and more individual responsibility.

His message seems to be gaining poularity with New Hampshire voters, where he now poses a serious threat to Dole and Buchanan.

"I think it's a three-way dead heat--Dole, Buchanan, Alexander," Tim Russert, the moderator of NBC's "Meet the Press" told The Crimson.