Cable Television Arrives in Lowell House Through New Satellite Dish

By Riad M. Abrahams

Joining the ranks of the other upperclass houses with Direct-TV, Lowell House installed a cable satellite system on Tuesday.

According to house committee members, the change was made in response to requests by residents and designed to make the Lowell Junior Common Room (JCR) a more lively place for students to gather.

"We wanted to make the JCR a room for more than special events, a place that students use regularly," said Lowell House committee co-chair Marcia M. Turner '97.

Spearheaded by committee treasurer Andres Schanzer '96, the project experienced no major difficulties and easily gained the approval of Master William. H. Bossert '59, committee members said. The money for the dish was drawn from House Committee funds.

According to Schanzer, students often complained about the lack of cable within the house.

"It's an excellent move to make the JCR a central place where students can gather to watch television, especially sporting events like March Madness," he added.

Schanzer noted that acquisition of the dish was rushed in order to have it ready before the college basketball tournament's conclusion.

Residents appeared optimistic about the new system.

"It's a pretty good idea," said John R. Brooks '97, who is a Crimson editor. "Not a whole lot of people use the JCR. This will probably turn it into a real dorm hangout."

At least one resident, however, who wished to remain anonymous was not so excited.

"I don't really watch television down there, so it doesn't really matter to me," the student said.

Since it is not possible to acquire directly wired cable within the Houses, the satellite driven Direct-TV is the only option for acquiring equivalent service.

The satellite system provides Lowell House residents with such cable television staples as CNN, C-span, and ESPN.

With some students still unaware of the availability of cable, Turner said she plans to host a pizza party in the JCR after spring break to celebrate the room's new acquisition.