Women's Tennis Carpetbombs Columbia, 7-0

Crimson Continues Strong Spring Season With Blowout of Weak Lion Squad; Faces Rival Penn Today

By Rebecca A. Blaeser

For the first time in what seems like forever, people were seen walking around Harvard Square in T-shirts and shorts. It seems as if spring is finally creeping its way into New England.

Its arrival comes just in time to witness yet another crushing victory by the Harvard women's tennis team yesterday at the Beren Tennis Courts.

The Crimson cruised by Columbia 7-0, and it would have only been appropriate for the team to shout the old chant of, "Florida oranges, Texas Cactus. We play your team just for practice." After nine wins, dropping only one set, Harvard was just too dominant.

"Columbia isn't one of the best teams in the Ivy League," senior co-captain Kelly Granat said. "The challenge [yesterday] was not the court, but more of keeping focus."

The Crimson has exploded out of the starting blocks this season with an impressive West Coast showing. The team posted four wins and only one loss, while defeating such nationally ranked squads as Pepperdine and San Diego State in the process.

Since returning to the East Coast, the team has continued to pound out the victories. Columbia was just another victim.

Leading the Harvard rush was freshman Ivy Wang (6-0, 6-1), junior Gina Majmudar (6-4, 6-2), and sophomore Gabriela Hricko (6-1, 6-1). The three not only secured victories in the top three single positions, but they were also instrumental in two of Harvard's three doubles matches.

Majmudar played alongside co-captain Kate Roiter to post a 8-5 win while Wang and Hricko were merciless as they destroyed their opponents, 8-0.

Rounding out the Harvard victory were singles wins by Granat (6-3, 6-0), sophomore Julia Kim (6-1, 6-1) and sophomore Anna Chai (3-6, 6-3, 6-0). In addition, Granat and Kim joined forces to cap off a doubles sweep (8-3).

Not much could be found to complain about in this match from Harvard's perspective. The real challenge, however, will come today in a matchup against the always dangerous University of Pennsylvania squad.

This match will be especially intense considering it possesses a sordid past.

Last year, Penn pulled out all the plugs. Although Harvard eventually pulled out the win, Penn made it a battle.

The Crimson vividly remembers that match and can taste the possible redemption today.

"We inevitably have close games with Penn," Granat said. "I think it will definitely be a competitive match where the younger players need to be prepared, but I think that they are ready."

Considering the way that the Crimson has played so far, the Quakers will definitely have its hands full.

Spring is in the air and so are the hands of every Harvard opponent thus far. The question now remains--can anyone touch this team? Columbia  0 Harvard  7