Medical Leaves Policy Debated By Committee

By Jay S. Kimmelman

The Committee on College Life yesterday discussed a new policy for forced medical leave of absence.

The policy would allow the dean of the College to place a student on leave for medical reasons if the student's behavior "poses a direct threat to the health or safety of the student or others" and if the behavior or threatening state "is the result of a medical condition," according to the proposal.

Both Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 and Director of University Health Services David S. Rosenthal '59 said the policy would allow for these contingencies, although it would be rarely used.

"It is infrequent but not extremely uncommon," Lewis said of students whose behavior as a result of medical conditions might require them to take a leave.

Rosenthal told the committee that "a lot of work has gone into this proposal and UHS is in support of this."

But some students at the meeting said they had some concerns with the proposal.

Marco B. Simons '97, chair of the Student Affairs Committee, pointed to the lack of student input on the proposal.

Lewis said in response that some matters, including medical leaves, did not fall under the jurisdiction of any of the three student-faculty committees.

"I [just] wanted everyone on this committee to be aware of [the proposal]," Lewis said.

Simons, however, said he was displeased at not being notified of the proposal prior to reading about it in The Crimson.

"If we are expected to follow certain processes, talking to all the relative players beforehand, I would expect the administration to do the same," Simons said.

Members of the committee also cited problems with the actual proposal, its wording and its implications for students.

Simons said some students have problems with UHS, "justified or not."

He said he was concerned that the proposal does not allow these students to seek an outside evaluation.

"I need the advice of the University Health Services," Lewis said. He added he would accept the outside evaluation "if [UHS] is comfortable with the information from somewhere else."

"It seems like you are using UHS to confirm your suspicions [about supposedly mentally ill students]," Simons said.

But Rosenthal said Simons' concerns did not focus on the actual context of the proposal. Lewis said he would consider altering the wording of that section.

Simons also asked to add a statement "requiring the director of UHS to approve such decisions."

Although Lewis said this type of decision should not be made by physicians, Simons wanted assurances limiting the dean's authority regarding the policy.

"I think there are enough protections of other kinds to prevent the dean from doing [something inappropriate of this sort]," Lewis said.

But Simons asked, "If the UHS can't make the decision, who else can?"

Following an awkward silence, Lewis said he "noted the question."

Simons said he also wanted assurance that students would have the opportunity to appeal the decision to a subcommittee of the Administrative Board.

After changing the language of the proposal from "the Dean may refer the dispute [to the Ad-Board], to "the Dean will refer the dispute," Simons acquiesced.

"I am comfortable with the ill-defined definitions [of medical conditions and the dean's decision-making process] if students have a guaranteed appeal," Simons said.

Other Issues

The committee also discussed a new policy for medical exemptions from final exams, which would eliminate the statement of the student's medical condition from the form submitted to the administration.

"The problem is that medical information is leaking into administration that is unnecessary and not appropriate," Lewis said.

Citing the lack of confidentiality of Harvard ID numbers, Lewis said he may provide private personal identification numbers to students in the future, in addition to ID numbers

Other Issues