Harvard in the Penthouse: Web Surfing for Pets

By Courtney A. Coursey

Harvard is used to being at the top of prestigious lists.

But now, Harvard is number one on a somewhat seedier survey: More computer users at Harvard read Penthouse magazine on-line than at any other Ivy League school.

A Nielsen-I/Pro audit of the pornographic publication's World Wide Web site revealed 4,451 visits by Harvard computer users between December 21, 1995 and January 20, 1996.

The site features photos of the magazine's Pet of the Month, in addition to a Forum section that contains letters relating sexual exploits and fantasies, according to a Penthouse press release.

For those interested in a more interactive experience, the site also boasts a "Nasty Bytes" collection of PC games, as well as phone numbers where Internet surfers can hear "ear candy for the sophisticated man (or woman)."

"It's the magazine, but because of the Communications Decency Act you have to go to another tier to see some of the pictures," a Penthouse spokesperson said in a telephone interview yesterday.

At least one member of Harvard's computer community said that the frequent visits to the site are simply a reflection of students' familiarity with technology.

"I think that it's a good indication that Harvard is number one as far as getting out on the computer network and embracing the Web and embracing technology," said John E. Stafford '96, a Crimson editor who is former president of the Harvard Computer Society.

To others, however, Harvard's place on the Penthouse survey was symbolic of larger--and more corrosive--social trends.

Tung Q. Le '96 said he was not surprised by the finding because "Harvard students are basically corrupt."

"Like abortion or any other evils we condemn, we think that it is morally reprehensible," said Le, who is president of the Association Against Learning in the Absence Religion and Morality (AALARM), a group espousing conservative social values.

But at least students who visit the site appear to keep it to themselves. Cynthia L. Alvarez '97, a user assistant for HASCS, said she has never seen anyone visiting the Penthouse site in the basement of the Science Center.

"I imagine that that's something that people probably do in their rooms," Alvarez said.

The University of Minnesota topped the list of school-based visits to the Penthouse site, recording 8,751 during the period of the survey